• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Hurst Shifter

confused

NAXJA Forum User
I'm not sure if this is the place to post this but here goes.

I just talked to B&M and they told me that they are manufacturing a Hurst shifter that should be available in January 2008. This shifter is supposed to fit 1989 to 1999 XJs. How 'bout that? Something for the AX-15 finally!!

The Hurst part number will be: 3915042. The price from B&M quoted to me was $335 but he also said that it will be cheaper through Summit or Jegs. Oh, for those that don't already know, B&M bought Hurst. Figured I'd share the wealth.

that's a waste of money to be honest

just a longer shifter?seems high,I remember seeing a kit for my aw4 a whi;le ago but to steeep a price as well

I believe B&M allready made a shifter for teh AX-15. I am going off and old memory but I believe it was only $200 which still seems like alot to me. Also that hurst shifter is allready out on the shelfs if anyone is interested.

so what would that do to have a throw shifter on our automatics... sorry but i dont know about them. Just heard about them on muscle cars etc..

thanks

aroncull said:
so what would that do to have a throw shifter on our automatics... sorry but i dont know about them. Just heard about them on muscle cars etc..

thanks

Nothing, because it's for a manual trans... :confused:

aroncull said:

thanks

There is no purpose on an automatic, a short throw shifter decreases the length between the gears on a manual transmission to assist in speedy shifting.

If you've ever driven an ax-15 its like rowing a whaleboat.

IslanderOffRoad said:
There is no purpose on an automatic, a short throw shifter decreases the length between the gears on a manual transmission to assist in speedy shifting.

Yah.

If you've an automatic, you're probably more interested in a "ratchet shifter" - we used to call them "slap shifters" as well.

When you use a ratchet shifter (as I recall,) there's another range under "D" that is essentially "manual control." You want to shift up - you slap the stick forward. Shift down? Slap the stick backwards. You can usually slap them pretty hard (starting to figure out why they were called "slap shifters" yet?:read: )

Slap shifters were especially good on old (read: cast iron case) PowerGlides - they were only two speeds and tougher than the hinges of Hell. I also saw a lot of them on THM350, THM400, A727, and C-6.

The equivalent to a slap shifter for a manual would be something like the old Lenco "lightning rods" - where there was a shifter for "R-N-1" and then a pull lever for each additional gear range. You had as many levers as you had gear - a three-speed would have three levers, a four-speed would have four, and so on (I think I once saw a set of 'rods for a Richmond six-speed...) To shift up, you just pull the next lever to the right toward you. Push it back to shift down.

I've wondered just how much fun it would be to have a rig with a twin-stick D300 and a set of five-speed or six-speed lighting rods... Seems to me that having seven or eight shifter levers would be enough to deter just about any casual thief - they wouldn't be able to figure out how to drive it! Throw in a good starter interlock or a fuel pump cutoff, and you'd need a tow truck to swipe the thing...

A "short throw" shifter does just that - it "shortens" the "throw" of the shifter lever at the handle end, sometimes by several inches. In a truck, it borders on useless (I think.) For a performance car, it can be a good idea - once you're used to the thing and stop trying to "throw over" the shifter...

IslanderOffRoad said:

I guess youre usually driving ricers then because I know the throw in my jeep is a lot shorter than that of any full size pick-up I have driven. For what jeeps are ment for (woods) I wouldn't say there is to much of a need for a short throw shifter though.

the length of the lever is not necessarily altered. (in uber tech terms)
the base of the shifter, where the piviot point is, is raised of the transmission tunnel, making a longer fulcrum... so, the hand end of the shift lever now needs not travel as far on account of the longer fulcrum/higher pivot point.
additionally, the shifter base has much more defined gates, and travel stops.
shorter throw, positive engagement and definate gates all make the driving experience more enjoyable.
Also, if you happen to be playing "first-to-reverse" the positive stops eliminate any chance of bending/damaging shift fork.

In a truck, with a long span from tranny to hand, and short gearing that requires the first 2-3 shifts be made in a very short distance/time frame, it makes a lot of sense to me... and, in stupid spots in the woods when a quick shift is the difference between maintaining momentum, or stopping, my opinion is it makes even more sense... especially when you're moving a lever that has very metalic/defined gates, rather than the rubber band interface the stocker feels to have.

I run 4.56's and 31" tires, and will be purchasing a hurst (wich has been available for at least 5 years now as a TJ shifter... pick out a different 'lever') to keep my clutch foot from waiting on my hand speed around town.

I've been running the Hurst shifter on my AX15 since about 2002 and it was well worth the $180 I paid for it. I wish my new daily driver XJ had one as the stock shifter is sloppy and annoying.

I'm with Jes--I've had the Hurst for about 5-years and I also paid $180-190 for it. The throws are 30% shorter and the feel is solid. You should drain the tranny and refill with mt90 while you have the old shifter off. The Hurst looks a lot better than the B&M.

well, it's only been 3 years and 3 months since I said I was getting one...
anyways, are you guys running the same lever (stick) that comes with the TJ shifter?
or, is the lever that comes with the TJ one suitable to the XJ dash/seatings locations?

I've been running the original Hurst for about 3+ years.

I bought the shifter for a number of reasons. First, mine was trashed from road crude getting into it thanks to the PO. Second, at 6'4" with the driver's seat all the way to the rear and the back tilted having the longer shifter works great for me particularly off road. Third, I prefer a tight, fast shift over slop boxes any day. Fourth, a stock replacement was $300 new, and none of the local yards had an AX15 XJ at that time. I found mine on the internet for about $160 not including the shipping.

I could build my own for all of $15. machine a spacer. take two shifters. cut the nub off the bottom of one, up next to the pivot, cut the nub off the other one, next to the ball that fits into the shift forks in the trans. weld nub on.

the part welded on would be the same length as the spacer. end result, shorter throw.

I have a Hurst. Love it, would never want to go back to the stock shifter.

I could build my own for all of $15. machine a spacer. take two shifters. cut the nub off the bottom of one, up next to the pivot, cut the nub off the other one, next to the ball that fits into the shift forks in the trans. weld nub on.

the part welded on would be the same length as the spacer. end result, shorter throw.

Let us know how that works out for you.
Don't forget to weld on the positive stop adjustment tabs as well.

Had a hurst shifter in my wrangler, money well spent.

well, I just ordered one, since it's being shipped from Nevada it will be here tomorrow afternoon.
Like I said earlier, I've been trying to find an excuse to buy one for over 3 yeras now... guess today was the day.

Let us know how that works out for you.
Don't forget to weld on the positive stop adjustment tabs as well.

there won't be anything to adjust.

Back