• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ exhaust

XJ STEELER 1

NAXJA Forum User
Iam looking to replace the exhaust system on my 99 XJ . Stock down tube is smashed half closed from factory . Installed banks torque tube because of cracks in stock manifold . Tail pipe is history so I would like to replace stock down tube also . Stock down tube has a pre-cat . Does anyone know anywhere I can find this down tube not smashed ? I know I could cut & weld to make it but would rather not . Talked to local shop that said nobody could make it . I just find that hard to believe . If anyone knows where , please let me know . THANKS

XJ STEELER 1 said:
Iam looking to replace the exhaust system on my 99 XJ . Stock down tube is smashed half closed from factory . Installed banks torque tube because of cracks in stock manifold . Tail pipe is history so I would like to replace stock down tube also . Stock down tube has a pre-cat . Does anyone know anywhere I can find this down tube not smashed ? I know I could cut & weld to make it but would rather not . Talked to local shop that said nobody could make it . I just find that hard to believe . If anyone knows where , please let me know . THANKS
That "smash" is factory,we all have it!

awesome, long arms rock. did you change bumpstops too?

my muffler man gave up making a 2.5 inch front pipe, saying it was a bitch, the start of the front pipe has a compound curve, he kept missing the end angles, can't do it easily with press bends.

doctor dyno had his welder put a 3 inch front pipe on his stock height jeep. no precat in the way http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/Exhaust.html

that precat is the clearance problem, and it has to stay if you want to be legal.
a higher flow cat and muffler will do more for your performance that an undented front pipe.

Being a fabricator / welder for the past 25 + years I know that I can make it but was trying to avoid that . I hear that the high flow cats are a total waste of money . Any proof the other way ?

Last edited:
the only time high flow cats make a difference in a stock engine, is when the original cat was plugged with carbon, melted or shattered, otherwise an OE cat does give an adequate flow rate.

my old catalyst was slightly melted and plugged, number 1 cylinder had been washing for 1000's of miles. Excess hydrocarbons in the exhaust overheated the catalyst brick.

Last edited:
My Borla header came with an unsmashed 2.5" downpipe.

Banks headers are prone to cracking and failure with extreme frequency. Sell it while its still good and buy another brand. :)

cal said:
My Borla header came with an unsmashed 2.5" downpipe.

Yep the Borla shorty header comes with a replacement down tube (no tube dimple) :).

arent banks headers warranied for life of the orriginal purchaser?? i mean i paid alot of money for that thing why does such a huge aftermarket exhaust company make headers that crack all the time , seems kinda stupid hey ??

Its specifically a problem with their Xj header. One of the locals has replaced his banks header under warante 7 times in the last two years. They keep giving him a new one, but it still means pulling the old one, sending it back, swapping it..

ouch yeah i am in canada so its a looooooooooooooong wait for anything new from the usa . i was wondering has anyone had any good luck with these headers or are they all garbage ??

Back