• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GY Silent Armor versus BFG AT

rob2541

NAXJA Forum User
Been meaning to get new tires for my 99 since I got it a few months ago. I can't even make it up the hill to my house without 4WD.

Anyway, looking for 235/75R15 or 30x9.5 in BFG ATs or Silent Armors. I've had 2 sets of BFGs and know they are good. Has anyone compared these in the same size on the same vehicle? I'd like some MTs, but like most peoples DD vehicles I spend just a few days a year in anything where a MT would be absolutley necessary and have dozens of days where a MT would probably be trouble in snow/rain/ice.

Thanks in advance
rob

I have run both BFG all-terrains and Mud terrains on my 92 Cherokee with no problems. I am currently running the Mud terrains and they have held up great this past year. Two of them have good sized cuts in the sidewalls and they still air down and perform great on the trail. The Goodyear Silent Armor I put on my '02 Dodge Ram haven't held up so well. I have all ready had to replace two of them because of sidewall punctures. The sidewalls are only two ply and both punctures were cause by small branches on creosote bushes poking through while trying to turn aroung on tight trails. If you want to go Goodyear try thier MTR's. I had those on my Dodge and beat the hell out of them for two years and never had a problem.

I've never heard of an mt tire being bad on snow, ice and rain? usually the complaint is they wear out faster due to the softer compound's in the tire. I hated the BFG AT's on my zr2 they sucked in rain snow and sluch because they like to hydroplane! havent had no trouble with the goodyear MTR's on the XJ they work great! even now since they are about worn out.

I've never heard of an mt tire being bad on snow, ice and rain? usually the complaint is they wear out faster due to the softer compound's in the tire. I hated the BFG AT's on my zr2 they sucked in rain snow and sluch because they like to hydroplane! havent had no trouble with the goodyear MTR's on the XJ they work great! even now since they are about worn out.

I have a set of GYWSA for my daily driving tires (I have a second set of wheels and tires for off-road). This is the fourth set of tires I have used on my rig and the best for daily driving. They really do slide a lot less than the other three sets of tires from the past on wet roads. They do very well in the snow as well. After having my set for a year or so my father bought a set for his Dakota to replace his worn factory rubber.

Having rode/driven my fathers truck they hook up quite a bit more than the factory tires (which is to be expected) and can't say we're disappointed in any way. I have done my best to resist taking them off-road as I don't want to do anything to ruin them for their daily driving duties, but I don't have anything to tell me that I would be dissatisifed with their abilities.

At the time we were torn between the GYWSA, BFG AT and Bridgestone Revo's. All three of those are great in their own right and should give great on-road traction and satisfactory off-road traction given they're an all-terrain and not a mud-terrain.

300$XJ said:
A high void tire with little or no siping will be horrible in the winter. Come take my MJ for a drive with super swampers after it snows, you'll know what I'm talking about.

I have had GoodYear MT/R's and BFG T/A All Terrains on my XJ. I also had BFG's on my Ranger 4x4 pickup. The MT/R's were loud on pavement and got louder as they aged. They were only fair in the snow and on rainsoaked streets. The BFG's are great in the rain and make excellent snow tires. We had 6" of snow on Sunday and 5" more today here in Minneapolis. The BFG's are quite on the highway and ride smoothly. AT's in general usually give poor traction in deep mud, and the BFG's AT's were pretty useless in mud. I have run both tires in Moab and have no complaints or preferences when fourwheeling there.

Last edited:
87manche said:
A high void tire with little or no siping will be horrible in the winter. Come take my MJ for a drive with super swampers after it snows, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Thanks for the input guys. I have a set of 33" Swampers that I used to run on my Wrangler. In the deep snow in the woods they were unstoppable, but my pizza cutter 33" BFG ATs were much nicer on the packed snow and ice. My Swampers were siped but still felt a little iffy sometimes.

I'm thinking I'll go BFG AT again, now I need to decide on 235s (had them on my 96 XJ) or live with the 30s rubbing a little.

My last set of BFG A/Ts went 110K miles. I have never has an issue in rain, snow, ice, dirt, etc. I would not run them in deep mud, but bring on the rest.

Rev

I had P235/75/15 Silent Armors put on my XJ at around 88k to replace the P225/70/15 Toyo Open Coutry's the truck had put on it by Carmax and have been very happy with them since the changeover. I'm currently approaching 114k and have only had a couple sliding issues, most of which were on ice. Dad spent some time driving the truck in a variety of conditions and had them put on the back of his V-6/Reg Cab/Long Bed F-150 company truck when he needed new rear tires because of his experiances with them on my truck!

bjoehandley said:
I had P235/75/15 Silent Armors put on my XJ at around 88k to replace the P225/70/15 Toyo Open Coutry's the truck had put on it by Carmax and have been very happy with them since the changeover. I'm currently approaching 114k and have only had a couple sliding issues, most of which were on ice. Dad spent some time driving the truck in a variety of conditions and had them put on the back of his V-6/Reg Cab/Long Bed F-150 company truck when he needed new rear tires because of his experiances with them on my truck!

Atleast you got Toyo's from Carmax....I got Uniroyal Laredo's....:puke:

My vote is for either the BFG's or the Dueler Revo's. Just put a set of BFG's on my XJ this summer and so far have zero complaints about them. They do great in the rain, in moderate mud (I was suprised) and are very quiet on the road compared to some A/T's. I've got the Revo's on the KJ and have zero complaints about them as well. They also do pretty decent in the mud, and outstanding in rain and on the road. Haven't had a chance to try either of them out in the snow yet, as we havent seen a good snow in over 3 years. From what I hear, both do a great job though.

Back