• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Odd Noise

8Mud

NAXJA Forum User
The wifes 96. This is a first for me, never seen it before. I get a squeal at startup, thought it was the belt. It finally lasted long enough for me to localize it somewhat, seems to be the distributor, I could not only hear it, I could feel it on the cap with my finger tips. Seems to be a bearing or bushing squeal, but from where? Motor runs fine, so it is unlikely to be the gear pin. It goes away after a few seconds, to a minute later.
Any ideas? She is on the go first light to late a night: If I get a hold of her XJ to troubleshoot, I'm gonna have to be quick and have some idea of what I'm looking for.

Thanx Chuck

Just replace the distributor,The housing and shaft have developed enough play to get the shaft crooked in the housing.Both my 96 and the wifes 98 developed the same problem at 180,000 miles.
The simple fix was a new distributor.
Wayne

Back