• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cupholders

xjpsych

NAXJA Member #657
I know I will catch hell for this, but does anyone know of aftermarket cupholders for XJ's? I have the accessory screwdown type that sit over the hand brake in front of the center armrest--great for coke cans but nothing else.

I have one of those cup holders sized for 12 oz cans. I found I just buy cans of soda or get the small drink at the fast food resturant.

If you want the bigger cup considering keeping one of those plastic cups in your XJ with the bottom sized to fit in a 12 oz can holder. With this cup in the vehicle then you can pour the drink into the cup with the reduced diamater bottom.

I will say the 12 oz cup holder is better than no cup holder.

Here is the part # for the one that hangs off the side of the console-
55115020 cup holder List 9.95
I know it fits my 96 not sure about the other years?
Wayne

The only down side to the one that hangs off the side of the console is that if the passenger is large, their knees will hit the holder. Also, mine has a tendency to pop loose and before I place anything in it, I check to see if it is secured.

I did have the one next to the parking break, but It interfeared with the hand break to much for my taste. Then I switched to the console mounted one. I am, for the most, part happy with it.

Tom D.

Has anyone built a top for the center console that has a cup holder built in? I also don't like the over the parking brake model.....Maybe I could build one...I don't use the console for anything but loose stuff....change....wallet...etc.

I actually have one of the cupholders from the factory next to the shifter on the passenger side. what i did to keep it from falling all the time is drill two small holes through the part where it attaches and into the center console and then put black screws into each. it hasn't gotten knocked off since:D

The only thing I don't like about the idea of a center console holder, is that is where my arm rests when I drive. Being a big guy, my arm takes up a lot of space.

The XJ does not really suffer from the lack of a good cup holder location any worse than many vehicles Heck, our work F-150 is bad and I was in a brand new Ford T-Bird last year that had squat for holders.

I know an engineer for Ford in Michigan and he told me the number 1 complaint amoungst vehicle owners was the lack of good cup holders. The only vehicle that I have ever seen with good holders are the larger Dodge trucks and the latest Ford F-250's and F-350's. Those have an assembly that pulls out of the dash that turns into a holder - and self adjusts for cup size.

Tom D.

I have two great cup holders in my XJ.... they even have 5 pressure adjustable tongs. it automaticly knows if it is holding a can or a styrafoam cup full of hot liquid and adjusts accordingly. it will even conpensate for cornering and different angles of yaw. it's great for holding burgers... not so good at taco's..

:D

Wayne Sihler said:
Here is the part # for the one that hangs off the side of the console-
55115020 cup holder List 9.95
I know it fits my 96 not sure about the other years?
Wayne

I'm going to the stealership to pick up parts tomorrow anyway, thanks for this number! In previous attempts other dealers haven't been able to find this part number for me...

**PERSONAL OPINION WARNING**
I know I cant stand the side mount one. Its been knocked over so many times my carpet has coke stans all over it. That things comes loose at the slightest bump. The over the e-brake one works much better for me. As stated earlier, you can get a beverage holder with the skinny bottom that fits right in and pour whatever dring you want in it. It does get in the way sometimes, but if you drive on anything but pavement, it's really the only way to go.

redrockphil - I've had the over-the-brake-handle one in my old XJ and got tired of not being able to reach the brake. I pulled up one too many times and broke that cupholder. I like the idea of mounting a few screws on that side-mount piece but I want to see one for certain before ordering it. The stealership didn't have one in stock, but a couple of the service guys got a kick out of my "It's a Jeep Thing. Daimler Doesn't Understand" bumper sticker....

Jim, newby here. Where can I get that sticker or did you make it yourself? A good buddy works at a local Dodge/Jeep dealer and he'd LOVE that one! Thanx, Phil

:D

I got that a couple years ago from ilovejeeps.com, but last I heard Tiffster doesn't have any more. You'll have to have one fabbed up someplace...
farkin' huge image on the way:
feb24_01.jpg

Thanx a lot for the reply. I can get one made locally if need be. Heck, that picture was so big maybe I should just print it and hang it in the back window! Thanx, Phil :))

I apparently deleted the closeup version of that pic, so you got the whole meal deal.... :D

Jim

Check out the cup holders in a 97 or 98 MB E class or an 85+ Olds cierra, they fold into the top of the console when not needed then pop out and unfold when you want them. I looked at my wifes and it could be adapted to my 98 with no problem except I am happy with the two that are built into the 97+ consoles. The downside of the MB one is the price, $120 but it's made of aluminum :D the olds is plastic.

Back