• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

electrical mayhem

projectTK

NAXJA Forum User
I ripped a whole dash out of a 92 xj auto 4.0, to be put in my 89 xj 5spd 4.0. The previous owner used the jeep as a backyard beater so nothing works except speedo and gas gauge. I mean nothing works. Lights work. No brake lights no turn signals to interior lights. Dash is sawed in half to accomodate the intake that was routed inthrough the passenger fire wall and the dash is covered in mud. The radio is ripped out and so is the bezel to control heat. Back to the point. Well i figured i would just get a whole new dash instead of dealing with the bulshat of figureing what wires go where and do what. So what will i get hung up in swapping in a 92 dash auto into a 89 5spd is basically what im asking?

entirely differant wire harness. the 89 4.0 uses an engine management system designed with renault and bendix parts (often refered to as 'renix'), while the 92 is chrysler designed. they also use differant computers and quite possibly a differant speedo. you'd be better off finding a harness from an 87-90 model. i have most of a dash harness and an entire dash board from an 89 4.0 auto, if you're interested. not sure what shipping would be, but it's from 49321 if you're intersted. i'm not sure what year they switched to an electric speedo from the cable driven design, but it was sometime after 1990.

well that sucks. ill just sell the dash back to the junkyard. Maybe im better off just getting a wiring diagram for an 89 and piece it back together. The previous owner told me they swapped in a 96 gauge cluster because the 89 one failed to work or something. So yeah what can i swapped off teh 92 dash that will work in the 89 then. How bout the heater bezel? I probably end up toggle switching most of it unless somebody lives close to swanton ohio which is south of Toledo. What u guys think i should do?

the 92 i believe is routed all threw the drivers side firewall. N my 89 runs some wires threw middle of fire wall and some threw the drivers side so i dont think its going to work. I just want this jeep to have hi and low beam, turn signals, brake lights, one interior light, dash light, speedo, gasgauge, i dont want showroom condition here. Just the bare essential for road legal and heat. Thats it.

Heres my options:

A. sell back the dash to the junkyard and find a different junkyard that has a jeep (87-90) that has a dash.

B. Find or buy a 89 jeep wiring diagram and toggle switch and rig up the bare essentials and or find somebody to help me piece this puppy together.

C. sell it. I bought it for 400bucks. 29inch mudder not road leagal tires, 4.5inch rancho lift. Over 200,000miles. I bedlinered the interior and exterior. I will be putting in new cloth seats and keep the lether bench seat. Little rust. Runs great. But i dont want to give up just yet. I want to finish what i started.

well i just ripped out the old dash and put them side to side to compare. All the connecters seem to match. The new dash is electronic speedo and the old is cable speedo thats the only thing i see different so far. Somebody out has to of done this swap before. Any other ideas that is going to help me or what?

Back