• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The ultimate in rust protection...

CoastieJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm thinking of buying a '08 Jeep, and want it to last a long time. In fact, I want to be able to pass it on to my son / grandson one day. There will probably very little fuel left in the world when they get it, but I still want them to have it.

What can you do to a new vehicle as soon as you purchase it to protect it from rust? I've heard of POR-15 but not sure it would apply to a brand new vehicle.

Any suggestions?

CoastieJ said:
I'm thinking of buying a '08 Jeep, and want it to last a long time. In fact, I want to be able to pass it on to my son / grandson one day. There will probably very little fuel left in the world when they get it, but I still want them to have it.

What can you do to a new vehicle as soon as you purchase it to protect it from rust? I've heard of POR-15 but not sure it would apply to a brand new vehicle.

Any suggestions?
I would Por-15 it inside and out and then have someone spray on bedliner over that. You could probably even skip the Por-15 as long as it is a quality Line-X type bedliner. That would be how I would do it.

Rust inhibitor base, and rhino liner, it's what I am going to do to my 2000 XJ.

Go to a professional rust treatment center (Crown is one brand) that inject a non-hardening, creeping, penetrating rust barrier into panels and seems. They drill holes in places like the edge of the door and the centre pillar between the doors, and others, to spray in the fluid. Have them do the wheel wells and under the rocker panels. Make sure they inject some into the rockers (by pulling back the carpet and cutting holes on the inside of the cabin - the holes get plugged with plastic caps after). I also inject chainsaw bar oil (NOT engine mix oil) into the frame rails, since the bar oil contains rust inhibitors and additives to make it sticky. The bumpers need a protectant of some kind sprayed on the backs, since they rust from there. My 1990 is still doing well, living in road salt country. My 2001 has rust starting at the bottom of the doors and bottom of the tailgate, at the seam that faces into the vehicle. I have rubbed a bit of heavy grease along these seams for the winter- don't overdo it or it could get on your pantleg.

Wash the undercarriage often a thoroughly. The trouble with most undercoatings is there is invariably an edge someplace that didn't get covered and moisture will eventually find it's way in there. The moisture that sits (under the top coating) and doesn't evaporate is the stuff that causes problems. if you can't get a near perfect seal, you are often better off with no seal.
Surface rust takes decades to cause any real trouble.
If you spend much time down by the beach, wash the underbody often with hot water.
Keep up with the scratches a dings in the paint job, thats where the moisture gets in and sits there and works on the metal behind the paint. Wash and wax actually works pretty well, it flows in the nooks and cranny's.

I spray the underbody of all my vehicles with a Boeing Aviation product call Boeshield T-9 (available online or at any marine supply store). It leaves a thin waxy (but clear) coating on that eliminates rust and keeps it away. I highly recommend the stuff and have been using it for years. I tow a boat and I spray the receiver for the hitch after each outing. Those who tow know that the receiver gets nicked of much of it's paint and always rusts. After 6 years, the (mostly paint free) metal on my receiver still looks new without even surface rust. Use one can of the stuff under each of your vehicles per year and you will not have rust. It sprays on like wd40 but really works. It's safe on plastic and rubber too.

A rear main seal leak will do a lot to prevent rust. A nice coating of oil on the underside of the Jeep keeps the rust from forming. :spin1:

cherokee89 said:
A rear main seal leak will do a lot to prevent rust. A nice coating of oil on the underside of the Jeep keeps the rust from forming. :spin1:
and you always have fresh oil, all you have to do is change the filter every 3000 miles.
:laugh3:

Back