• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wont start at times

imwally

NAXJA Forum User
Okay I would have done a search but I was not sure on what to look for.

Here is the problem. 92 xj 4.0. Every once in awhile the jeep will not start. It has power and everything. When we turn the key it just not turn over at all. Then the next time we try it will start right up. Battery it good. Any help will be great.

Does Your XJ Have A Cermic Ballast Resistor On The Driver Side? Sometimes They Get Huge Carbon Build Up On Them And Would Cause It Not To Turn Over At Times Or Its Possibly Cracked. If The Terminals Have A Heavy Blackish Coat On Them Take A Wire Brish And Remove The Carbon From The Terminals. If The Resistor Is Cracked Go To Napa And Pay $9.00 Or So For A New One.

Last edited:
RªMB° said:
Does Your XJ Have A Cermic Ballast Resistor On The Driver Side? Sometimes They Get Huge Carbon Build Up On Them And Would Cause It Not To Turn Over At Times Or Its Possibly Cracked. If The Terminals Have A Heavy Blackish Coat On Them Take A Wire Brish And Remove The Carbon From The Terminals. If The Resistor Is Cracked Go To Napa And Pay $9.00 Or So For A New One.

Does anyone have a pic of where and what this looks like?

NSS gets my vote. try starting in neutral when that happens. havent had to switch my NSS out yet but i seem to have problems in cool weather.

tigerShark said:
NSS gets my vote. try starting in neutral when that happens. havent had to switch my NSS out yet but i seem to have problems in cool weather.

Okay sorry but this made me laugh. You have cold weather in Tampa Fl? :sunshine: But this all started when it got colder up here also. Have had it do it today since I got home. I even started it about 20 times without a problem.

imwally said:
Okay sorry but this made me laugh. You have cold weather in Tampa Fl? :sunshine: But this all started when it got colder up here also. Have had it do it today since I got home. I even started it about 20 times without a problem.

Yes, they do, last trip to Disney land I had to cough up about $300 extra for decent coats from the disney store. I made out though, got a leather one from Universal, they were the only store that had XL long :D :D :D

I'd start with a good cleaning of the TB and sensors, also your battery could be heading south too, these new electronics don't like bad or weak batteries.

The Ballast Resistor Looks Like This.

Next time this happens;

Hold the key to the start position, have your foot on the brake pedal and shift from park to neutral while holding the key to the start position.

The neutral saftety switch gets shit inside it so the contacts get gummed up.

RªMB° said:

how/why do you capitalize the first letter of each word????

Back