• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 axle removal question

cloudswimmer

NAXJA Forum User
I need to remove my Dana 30 shafts and replace them with Alloy chromolys.I've never done this before.I found a write up on the web on doing this and was wondering if someone could check out the link and see if its kosher, and if there's anything missing before I start.Thanks!

Link

http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/d30/axle-1.htm

Except he didn't stress how much of a PITA removing the hub usually is... Go get a bolt thats the same thread as the 12 point 13mm bolts but a lil longer and thread it into the hub. Use what ever force needed with a hammer each hole till the hub comes out.... :) Don't over do it and mess up the threads in the hub... make sure it's threaded all the way in.

Last edited:
Ya I just went to the dealership and got 3 new bolts, cost about $16, but I threaded the old ones in, too a mallet and just went around. Clean up where the hub meets the knuckle with a wire brush to help it go back in.

Also, when you go to replace the shafts, try cleaning out the axle tubes first of all the dirt, or else you will have a decent amount show up on the axle shafts when they are threaded back into the carrier.

lowrange2 said:
Except he didn't stress how much of a PITA removing the hub usually is... Go get a bolt thats the same thread as the 12 point 13mm bolts but a lil longer and thread it into the hub. Use what ever force needed with a hammer each hole till the hub comes out.... :) Don't over do it and mess up the threads in the hub... make sure it's threaded all the way in.

Hubs are easy to remove.

There are a lot of methods, but this is the easiest I know of.

DSC0236.JPG

Put a bolt in there between the end of the yoke and the side of the inner C and turn the steering wheel. Pops them right out of the knuckle without hurting anything(except hammer sales).

You may have to move it to the other side to walk the bearing out, but it's real easy to do.

Back