• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

long arm length

markg

NAXJA Forum User
i plan on using a clayton crossmember or one fabed with the mounts in the same location.ive already begun the longarms.can i mock these up and at least weld one end with the final length (adjustable) being 35 to 37 inches long?ill be running 7.5 in rubicon springs

You can make arms any length you want, there's no magic arm length that works better than another. It's mostly about fitment and ground clearance. Make the arms as long as the need to be to get good arm angles, but not so long that you loose a bunch of ground clearance. The arms on my XJ are 20", and the arms on my XJ buggy are 24". Both work very well. It's the low angle of the arms, not the overall length, that gets you a benefit.

thanks but i want to get these tig welded at work and the expert is leaving soon.i would like to have him weld the arms up before he goes but i havent done any of the mockup yet.i just wanted to know if it was safe to make them at(adjustable one end) 35-37inches long.sorry for the bad description of what im trying to do.

Basically you're measuring from the back of the axle tube to where the crossmember is going to be, shouldn't be hard to get a measurement.

BTW, you're going to have to weld other stuff when doing this project, why the rush to get the arms TIG'd?

It will be much easier to build the arm length to your mounting points than it will be to build your mounting points and crossmember to your arm length.

Agreed. Tho 35.5-37.5 is what you need and will work, their brace/mount that hooks to frame, in which the xmember connects, will have to be burned in too...

thanks.
after looking a little closer at the tubing i had put aside for this project(leftover at work)ive decided its too heavy.1.75 x .250 wall.what size dom tubing have you guys run with the most sucess?im thinking maybe 1.5 od.

markg said:
thanks.
after looking a little closer at the tubing i had put aside for this project(leftover at work)ive decided its too heavy.1.75 x .250 wall.what size dom tubing have you guys run with the most sucess?im thinking maybe 1.5 od.

heh..

I've got 2" OD x .25 wall lowers, one is bent pretty significantly. These are the largest out of the guys I wheel with and everyone else has trashed their smaller links too. My 1.5" OD x .25 DOM tie rod is bent to hell.

I would do 1.75" x .25 as a minimum, and even then don't expect it to be indestructible.

I have the Clayton 8" kit and my arms are adjusted to almost exactly 36", which is what it says in their install manual as well. Axle placement is perfect at this length. Are you going to buy a Clayton crossmember or fab your own?

thanks for all of the replies!im prolly gonna just buy the clayton.

the tubing i have(just measured )is 2.000 x .375 wall.

im thinkin this is jusy way too much.

the tube im welding onto the end of it looks like a tweedy bird in comparison

You won't be sorry for using the big stuff. Are you using weldin bungs on the adjustable end? You can use 1 1/4 - 12 weldin bungs and use Huge Hiems or Johny joints.

That's fine. I'd rather have that than my .250 wall links.

I think that just means the thing you're welding it to is too small. :) If you wanna see something small, step back and look at a rig with big tires & big lift and 1.5" OD links.

thanks for thr replies.i think ill taper the ends down a bit and then radius and have them welded using the heavy tube i have now.right now 2 inch is the same size as the end im welding on!
vetteboy i would like to talk to you.

ill shoot you a pm tonite.
you still in rd bank?i work on ft monmouth

Back