• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle pics, what are these?

Hypoid

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Saw these axles under an '85 today. The Heep had the V-6 with the "Selec-Trac" TC, had an extra switch on the console. What are those wires all about? Never seen this set up.
wtfjeep.jpg

wtfjeep1.jpg

hmm might be diff temp...on the right hand side of the gauge cluster i know back in the early days of the XJ you could ge a package that included all sortsa warning sensors and shit but its rare to find em and all the lights went there just like the lights on the left side.....i know theres others out there that know what im talkin bout its just hard to find any info on the setup cause it was so short lived

Interesting, I'm curious as well......Mud dog is probably right. Might have had one of those information center things in the dash below the digital clock? '85 seems kinda early for that but possible. Was this a high-option rig Mike? Wagoneer?

Must not have been something real popular or worked very well...... otherwise we'd have seen more of 'em like that.

:dunno:

We couldn't see much in what was left of the dash, I didn't notice the trim package.

The front Axle had no vacuum disconnect, just a sheet metal bracket for the UCA. I might be off a year either way. It also had the CV style axle shafts that Troy mentioned in the local forum.

Were E-lockers ever offered in these?

No E-lockers that I know of.

The system referred to is the "System Sentry" - had telltales for a handful of goodies, but I don't quite recall which at the moment. I've not seen it myself, but I've been considering doing something similar if/when I get to do a full buildup (flight school got me hooked on gages and information...)

SS didn't add any gages tho - it was a set of pilot lights under the clock, on the panel to the right side of the IP.

I have an 85 with the "Select-Trac" and I dont have this on mine that I have seen. I'll have to look closer. I did just rip out the whole interior this past weekend and I was looking at my Info Center, The Only labels that it had were Brake, Seatbelt, Low Washer Fluid, and 4X4 in green. But it only had bulbs for the Brake, LowWasher, and Seat belt. There are 4 more slots that aren't used. As far as I know there is only one clock that came in the 84-86 XJ, although there is a black space under mine that could be used for more info lights. Oh and mine is a Laredo like my sn says. So I would guess that it comes with alot of the "bells and whistles"

IIRC, The Selec-Trac was a switch on the shifter console that let you manually control the Vacuum disconnect on the Dana 30 front axle. Same concept as a Posi-Lok.

Turn it to 2wd and the vacuum disconnect stayed disconnected and allowed you to run 2wd in low range.

Looking at the Tapco website, they show axle parts listings for the early XJ's ('85 & '86) and includes disconnect axle with and without System Sentry, but no listing for non-disco.....

http://www.tapcointernational.com/pages/jeepdiff.htm

Still a bit of a mystery.....

So this System Sentry is some kinda sensor package? I wonder if anyone has this system on NAXJA
Edit: I found it in the oddly optioned XJ's thread\
Odd options??? Bet you guys don't have one of these, it's rarest of the rare XJ options:

System Sentry
xjdashsystemsentry.jpg
Looks like about 9 other things to breeak and piss an XJ owner off!:guitar:
Kinda interesting that this would be one fo the few options that would need its owns sensors wiring harness axles t case radiator steering pump, and what ever else would have had to been specific to this system. I know that I dont have the plug to the clock that would run this. Mine is a 6slot -5pin connector

Last edited:
WheelinJR said:
IIRC, The Selec-Trac was a switch on the shifter console that let you manually control the Vacuum disconnect on the Dana 30 front axle. Same concept as a Posi-Lok.

Turn it to 2wd and the vacuum disconnect stayed disconnected and allowed you to run 2wd in low range.
I want this option! I tow a 3100# bass boat with my 90 and would love to be able to spot the boat in tight areas or back up steep hills with only 2 low so I do not loose turning radius or bind the axle/t-case. Where/what do I need to add this feature to the 90 disco axle?

xjtrailrider said:
I want this option! I tow a 3100# bass boat with my 90 and would love to be able to spot the boat in tight areas or back up steep hills with only 2 low so I do not loose turning radius or bind the axle/t-case. Where/what do I need to add this feature to the 90 disco axle?

Just buy a posi-lok.

http://collinsbros.stores.yahoo.net/4x4psilok.html

WheelinJR said:
I dont think that will work to do what he is wanting to do will it?
If you reallyu want to do it then you could buy the hub conversion kit and just leave the the fronts unlocked. it is pretty good to have the 2wd low, the owners manual says not to run in in 2wd low though for what ever reason.

1985xjlaredo said:
I dont think that will work to do what he is wanting to do will it?
If you reallyu want to do it then you could buy the hub conversion kit and just leave the the fronts unlocked. it is pretty good to have the 2wd low, the owners manual says not to run in in 2wd low though for what ever reason.

yes, it would work, but only with an open differential.

2-lo is easy just pull the front shaft

Back