• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 or 29-spline 8.25"?

Daedalus454

NAXJA Forum User
Well I was at the junkyard today picking up U-bolt straps to install my "new" 29-spline 8.25", when I happened to spot an '87 2dr XJ Pioneer with a Dana 44. I bought it of course, but now I'm not sure which axle to install in my XJ, and if I could get anything for my freshly re-bearinged 8.25 if I did go with the D44. The D44 looks good, it's got 3.54 gears and it feels smooth when I spin it. I would want to replace the brake wheel cyls, but other than that I think it's good to go.

Looking at the FAQs on this site, I'm pretty confident that a 29-spline 8.25 would be perfectly adequate for anything I plan to do with the XJ

Any advice on which to use? And is there an approximate "street" value for the 8.25"?

29 spline or 30 spline? not much of a difference. Iv upgraded 8.25 with the alloys and it does just fine. Buddy runs 36"s on his same setup and no breaky

My XJ has to be a DD first and a "fun machine" second, so I'm looking ulitmately at a junkyard ~2" lift, not real sure about tire sizes at the moment but nothing bigger than 33s, so 4.56 should be fine.

I think you guys have convinced me to slap the ChryCo in and sell the D44. I'll try to do the swap over the Thanksgiving holiday. Thanks!

Superior is beta testing 4.88's for the 8.25!! Should be out sometime next year.:yelclap:

WOW I HAD NO IDEA MAYBE ILL GO WAKE UP MY WIFE AND TELL HER TOO!!!!
yaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Back