• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WTB: Stock(ish) 8.25 29 spline

XJ-Mayhem

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Posted this in the Sierra chapter as well, but considering I bounce back and forth between NorCal and SoCal I figured I'd post up here too.

I'm looking to do this build up on a trickle budget, so I'd love to start with a 29 spline 8.25 that I can just toss a lunchbox in and run for a while.

However, I do have a 27 spline 8.25 that needs a full rebuild, and if anyone has a full case 29 spline locker/carrier I'd be interested in that as well.

Have you considered an 8.8 from an explorer?

What ratio are you after? 3.55?

Yes I have, but I'll be running 33's until the front 30 catches up in strength and I move to 35's, and I think 33's on an 8.8 would get hung up easier. Maybe not though.

Also, junkyard price of $250 for an 8.8 plus the swap kit for $130 puts me at nearly $400 before a lunchbox when I'm figuring I could find an 8.25 for $1-200.

However, it's a moot point if I can't find the 29 spline 8.25 as easy as I thought so I'm still contemplating an 8.8 as plan B

I am after 3.55

I plan on selling my axles in a month from now.
D30: Detroit, Chromo shafts, hd diff cover 4:56 gears, new BJ's, calipers, rotors
8.25: Lock right, stock 29spline shafts, hd diff cover

also will be selling the currie steering and re hd track bar.

you'll be ahead of the game and much cheaper and save you tons of times building up and looking for axles to build up.

Can't disagree with you on those points.

But, if you go 35s, the 8.25 will need alloy shafts...the 8.8 will not.

Also, the 8.8 will get you disk brakes, which help a lot with 35s.

Anyway, in the long run I think its a wash.

I plan on selling my axles in a month from now.
D30: Detroit, Chromo shafts, hd diff cover 4:56 gears, new BJ's, calipers, rotors
8.25: Lock right, stock 29spline shafts, hd diff cover

also will be selling the currie steering and re hd track bar.

you'll be ahead of the game and much cheaper and save you tons of times building up and looking for axles to build up.
Send me a message when you're ready, I may be interested, but it still comes down to not really wanting to drop $3k all at once.

My project is also already sitting in jackstand mode in the garage and I was hoping to take it back out in April

Can't disagree with you on those points.

But, if you go 35s, the 8.25 will need alloy shafts...the 8.8 will not.

Also, the 8.8 will get you disk brakes, which help a lot with 35s.

Anyway, in the long run I think its a wash.
Good to know on the stock 8.8 shafts being up for 35's, I wasn't aware of that. I knew 8.25 would need them.

I've figured it's a wash as well by the end. I think it's just going to come down to availability - if I don't get my hands on a 29 spline in the next week or two I'll probably just wind up pulling the trigger on a JY 8.8
I need to measure for shocks and driveshaft and I can't do either without knowing which axle I'll be going with.

Back