• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aligning control arm mounts on new axle

fuzzydog

NAXJA Forum User
I have a D44 axle to put under my XJ. It came out of a cherokee chief and was leaf sprung so all mounts will be cut off.

I will be fabbing my own control arm and coil spring mounts etc and was wondering how to line them up on the new axle for welding in the right places?

My idea is to take my D30 and build a 'framework' welded up around it locating all the critical pieces. then remove the D30, put in the D44 and then place the suspension mounts on the D44, lined up with the framework and zap it into place.

I will be cutting and turning the knuckles for caster/pinion alignment as well and lining those up is no problem.

Anyone see a problem with my idea? or have a better one?

Edit: the axle is a widetrack 65"wms and I am still not decided on shortening it or not. Having seen some full width XJ's I like it and the tires don't seem to be too far out there.... Leaving it full width will also simplify matching the bolt pattern by installing the AMC20 in back....

I was told TNT sells a truss kit that welds on and locates all the suspension mounting points for you

I did mine with a tape measure, protractor and a whole lot of fiddling. With the UCA mounts it's probably not so handy - they wouldn't be easy to measure.

There's a diagram on here that has the angles for them. If you can find it...

It would probably be easier just to jig them like you said...

Back