• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New to the cherokee world, pictures.

binderbart

NAXJA Forum User
Here's a picture of my rig, does it belong in here or in the OEM section? I picked it up from a car lot for $1200,
cherokee001.jpg

I had a cherokee years ago, this was just too good of a deal to pass up, bought it for the better half but all that has changed, she has her eye on something else do that means it can now do some offroading. The previous owner must have narrowed a nine inch rear axle and dropped it in, it also has a locker. heres a shot of that.
cherokee002.jpg

the only major rust it has is in the rockers, I'm thinking of cutting them out and welding in square tubing, I did alot of searching on that in here and like the idea, just which idea to follow,its been done a few ways, any ideas on which way is the easiest and best way?

cherokee003.jpg

it came with this rear bumper that matches the contour of the side of the body, I don't have any idea what brand it is, the plan is to weld a spare tire mount on it as it swings away from the rear door, and relocate the license plate and then sand it down and cover it with herculiner.

cherokee004.jpg

the next two shots are of the suspension, the first being the rear springs with some kind of helper spring, anyone ever see this or know what it is? also the front suspension with the sway bar disconnects. I got a few odd weekends jobs to do for friends then I'm going to dig in and start changing it and get it ready for the trails.
cherokee006.jpg

cherokee007.jpg

the previous owner knew a thing or too. great find!

they look like hellwig helpers

http://www.hellwigproducts.com/

the prevent sagging, help with towing etc..

Cool! Does it run well? Seems like a good deal. He knocked out 2 expensive items for you!

A little rusty BUT a good find!! A little TLC and :woohoo:

Seems that Cherokee's are cheap find around here lately.
I picked up a 98 for $1600 a few weeks back.
Good setup minus the towing spring helpers.
Where are you located in Iowa?

looks ike she sat in a back yard for a few years, good score

BruceB83 said:
Cool! Does it run well? Seems like a good deal. He knocked out 2 expensive items for you!

It runs really good minus the whining noise going down the road, the best part, it doesnt leak a drop of oil. plenty of power and it will chirp the tires from a dead stop.

ColoradoRaptor said:
A little rusty BUT a good find!! A little TLC and :woohoo:

the rockers and a little spot on the roof is the only rust, from what I found searching in here, I'm going to gut the interior and do the square tube rock rails, I think it would be worth the time and effort.

xjh3 said:
Wow, thats a steal. 9", lift and locker already on it with most of a rear bumper. What tire/lift size?

not sure on the size of the lift, my guess would be 4", right now it has some 31x10.50x15 goodyears I had laying around, still up in the air on what I'm going to put on new, a set of new tires for the wood cutting truck in coming in today, so it might be a month before I put new skins on the cherokee.

97CountryXJ said:
Seems that Cherokee's are cheap find around here lately.
I picked up a 98 for $1600 a few weeks back.
Good setup minus the towing spring helpers.
Where are you located in Iowa?

near Dubuque, good wheeling country here with all the bluffs on the mississippi.

Nice JKS quick discos, but they bent downward(I assume this is what you meant by the SB mounts). Also looks like you have tow hook mounts already in the front, just missing the tow hooks. Jeepforum technical page has the how to, to cut the rockers out and weld in tubing

Back