• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

airsoft pellets

kymtnman

NAXJA Forum User
i read a post a while back about using airsoft pellets to balance interco tires, is this true? if so would some one please explain the process.. how many-much to use. i just got a setof truxus mts,have about 5oz to 7oz per tire of weight & there still not right

I've been running with 1000 .12g airsoft pellets in each of my 35's for about 2 years now. At 75 mph its like driving a honda civic, smooth as glass.

ok wow, im doing this trick from now on... simple, and you will not need to truely ballance your tires(hard enough as it is) as they wear.... Thats cool.

IntrepidXJ said:
preference, really. some people use golf balls in larger tires and equal powder
Ive seen the golf balls done as well. Wouldnt a smaller media be better to help distribute the weight better?

So if you have 7oz of wheel weights, 7oz of your selected material should be put in the tire, right? Stupid question.:wierd:

IntrepidXJ said:
preference, really. some people use golf balls in larger tires and equal powder

Equal can clump up with moisture. The clumps break up but it does take a few minutes of driving.

Golf balls, if you are aired down a little and moving on a hard surface, will bounce around a lot. I dont know that its harmful, but you can really hear them.. :)

I went airsoft based on those two facts.

Balance yes, but if the rim is bent or out of round, there is no bandaiding that.

cal said:
Balance yes, but if the rim is bent or out of round, there is no bandaiding that.

i know it wont fix it, but would it reduce the vibration from it? the whole rim isn't bent, the bead has a couple good hits, but overall the wheel is straight

jdurbach said:
Will a tire store go along with this

The first time I did it at the tire store, they were confused but "didnt see any harm in it". They were very confused when they threw the tire on the machine "just to see" and it wouldnt mellow out (the machine didnt spin long enough for the bb's to do their job).. but when we put the tires on the jeep it drove smooth at highway speed.

A few weeks later the tire store called me to let me know someone else was coming in to do the exact same thing, and they thought of me. Turns out it was my dad doing his tires. ;)

Now they don't even question it. I pull up with a tire or two, the guys at the store know to grab the airsoft pellets out of my passenger seat and put 1 jar per tire, without asking.

cox_xj said:
i know it wont fix it, but would it reduce the vibration from it? the whole rim isn't bent, the bead has a couple good hits, but overall the wheel is straight

One of my wheels has a bead that is bent in 3/4" for about 2" along it. I only know that because I can see it with my eye, I don't feel it.

1) I dont know that you aren't bent more than me

2) My wheels are alloy and may weigh less

.. But it may work for you yes.

Back