• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Road salt blows

roostmonster

NAXJA Forum User
After my Dad passed away I brought the XJ he owned from Michigan where he lived to Texas where I am now living and decided that I would make a project out of rebuilding it. After 3 years of putting it off, I decided to start with replacing all of the bushings in the front and after that raised it 2" to allow 31's. All in all the front wan't too bad. I only had problems with the passenger side LCA. After a little sweet talking with a sawzall and an air hammer the bolt came right out. The problem is now the leafs. The spring shackles were so rusted that 1 inch chunks of metal were coming off. I decided that brand new springs, shackles and u-bolts were in order. I started removing the spring bolts and well you know what happened. EVERY single bolt was frozen in the bushing. A lot of help from the sawzall and bud light and the springs are now free. After reading previous posts on here for almost this entire week I am ready to cut some holes in the "bolt box" and replace the nuts that broke loose. I already have the bolts and nuts I am just waiting for my new shackles to arrive. The floor pans need to be replaced next. The passenger side is completely gone. If it weren't for the carpet, passengers would be Fred Flinstoning like a bad dog. I have started snapping pics as I go just to go back every once in awhile and remind myself why I hate road salt. I love Michigan but those winters are brutal on vehicles. Sorry for my run on rant fest but I just wanted to tell all of you guys/gals thanks for the info on here because with out NAXJA I would have scrapped this thing along time ago and apologized to Dad when I see him next. Thanks again and Happy Jeeping........

Think about all of us sorry folks who actually still live in Michigan and have to deal with that situation on every one of our daily drivers...

what would happen if you tried to sue the state dot for damage to your vehicle?

probably wouldnt work but hey its America and apparently you can sue anyone for anything

Back