• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Relocating coolant temp sender

twoksl2

NAXJA Forum User
anybody ever move their tems sender??? right now its mounted to one of the coolest places on the engine. i was thinking of extending the wire and movint it to the t-stat housing. right now i have an open port filled with a 3/8NPT plug. i was thinking of sticking a bushing in there and installing the sender there. will give me a more accurate picture of engine outlet temp.

any comments or experience??

On my 1998 there's a temp sensor on the block (for the computer?), and one on the t-stat housing (for the dash gauge). I might have them mixed up. Sounds like your t-stat housing one got removed at some point. I could be wrong though...

JoshRountree said:
On my 1998 there's a temp sensor on the block (for the computer?), and one on the t-stat housing (for the dash gauge). I might have them mixed up. Sounds like your t-stat housing one got removed at some point. I could be wrong though...

There is no sensor in the Tstat housing on a 90 (renix) engine. It is in the drivers side of the radiator. It is a temp switch that controls the e-fan. In the 91+ (HO) motors there is a sensor in the Tstat housing that controls the same fan but by a signal sent to the ECU, then the ECU turns the fan on. His Renix obviouly has the HO housing on the Renix engine.

twoksl2 said:
anybody ever move their tems sender??? right now its mounted to one of the coolest places on the engine. i was thinking of extending the wire and movint it to the t-stat housing. right now i have an open port filled with a 3/8NPT plug. i was thinking of sticking a bushing in there and installing the sender there. will give me a more accurate picture of engine outlet temp.

any comments or experience??

What year is your rig? You could have one, two, or three temperature sensors.

What sensor do you want to move, and why? The one at the back of the head (drives gages in RENIX and OBD-I) is actually somewhere that is fairly hot, and the one down in the side of the block for the ECU is good for an 'average' reading. They moved the TFS for the fan from the radiator ("cold side tank") in 1991 to the thermostat housing - which makes sense, since that would turn the fan on earlier.

So, what are you trying to do?

its a 90 xj (see my sig:) i have the ecu sensor in the block, and the fan switch in the radiator, the ont i'm talking about is for the gauge, its in the head cylinder #6, drivers side. not really sure what i'm trying at accomplish, i just saw the open port on the t-stat housing and had the idea of moving.

twoksl2 said:
its a 90 xj (see my sig:) i have the ecu sensor in the block, and the fan switch in the radiator, the ont i'm talking about is for the gauge, its in the head cylinder #6, drivers side. not really sure what i'm trying at accomplish, i just saw the open port on the t-stat housing and had the idea of moving.

That sensor is just fine - that's in a "hot spot" on the engine anyhow, so it gives a reading that should be slightly higher than overall.

Sounds like someone put a newer thermostat housing on your engine before it got to you (OEM RENIX housings do not have a port,) which doesn't pose a problem in and of itself.

(Oh - and too many of us here have more than a couple of rigs. Therefore, asking remains a valid question - and it really does simplify things if you put that sort of information in your post from the off...:D )

true, good point, sorry about tht. i am just a one jeep operation:)

aright, if its in a hot spot then i'll just jeave it there.

thanks for the help

-chris

Back