• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Head bolts..

Meeks

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone know what size bolts they are? They are 12 point.. but are they metric or standard.. ? Any help would be awesome I am ripping into my engine right now, and need to go get a couple new sockets.

I have a 98 4.0L, if it makes a differance.

If you search it has been covered... but when I did mine... I don't remember but I do know that itis metric and you need a deep socket... and is between 11, 12 or 13.

orly.JPG

YA RLY! :D

It worked just perfect.. got all the bolts last night, even number 14, which was a pain in the butt. I need a slim handle 1/2 drive wrench. Torquing that thing might be a problem.

I live in Canada, and I don't have a heated garage.. so I am waiting for the sun to come up this morning so I can get back at it. I can get it off, and replace all the gaskets, and get it running again.

Meeks said:
YA RLY! :D

It worked just perfect.. got all the bolts last night, even number 14, which was a pain in the butt. I need a slim handle 1/2 drive wrench. Torquing that thing might be a problem.

I've heard of people unbolting the motor mounts and/or the tranny mount and lowering the engine a bit to get more clearance on #14.

Other approaches involve a medium height socket.

Not thinking of the motor mount angle I ended up cutting the threaded extension off the bolt and bashing the lip of the engine compartment down to get the clearance for the torque wrench. Move the ground strap to #10.

Back