• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

battery power

stxcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
ok so i have a 95 4 door, and well it's doorless as of about 3 weeks ago.

i'm wondering if being doorless has anything to do with my battery dying today.

i don't have the dome light in, so it's not on. There is a green light where the key goes in can that drain the battery if it stays on constantly??

i unplugged that light, the green one, will see in the morn if she's dead, it's fully charged now.

anyone know of any other reasons?? no doors, big play toy for me. Engine bay is covered in water/muddy left over dried and all.

any suggestions will help

Clean post. Run standard battery/charging system test. Get back if this don't find the problem. Some auto part stores will run the test for free.

I don't think the key ring light comes on unless you turn the key from the on to the off position.

Although I'm not entirely sure. Or if you close the door or something I think, then it comes on. I forget, I'll go out and try mine.

How fast is your battery running down? I can't imagine it'd be that quickly if it was just that one light, but who knows.

Don't know about a 95 but on my 96 there is a small silver can directly under the steering column. It looks sort of like a turn signal flasher. This is the timer for the key light. It must have a little heater in it because it gets pretty warm. It gets powered as long as any door is open. Since you can't close your doors it could be draining your battery. Just unplug it from the wiring harness.

ok well,

she ran fine for a day and i got really sick the last few days and now she's dead again.

yesterday i tried to turn her over, and the starter just spun nothing else. went to crank her today and nothing at all, battery seems to be dead again.

under the hood is caked in mud, well muddy water what happens when that dries is what's left.

could having mud all over the place kill the battery? and the starter?

i gotta tow it out to the street so i can rinse her down and pull the starter.

any know how would be great. what kinda hurt does mud do?

sik4wheeler said:
Remove the negative lead off the battery and see if it continues to run, if not your alternator is gone.

not the best approach-- can overheat the alt. in short order and may send voltage spike into ECU-- neither will help.

damp dirt (mud) on the battery between the posts can allow current to flow between them and drain the battery-- it acts as a conductor and completes the circuit.

I'd still look into the door switches and determine how to remove them from the equation.

--Shorty

it's not the alter. they tested and it came back fine. even w/ the dome light out will the switches still draw current. hell i'll cut those things never helped me anyways that's what the maglight is for.

i'll see if i clean up the battery and cut the wires to the switches if that works.

thanks for the responses

pull a battery cable and hook up a volt ohm meter inline and see what the amp draw is when it is sitting there with no key in it. Then go around and start messing with things that might be draining the battery and look for a drop in the current draw. The car will draw a little juice to keep the computer and other things going but it sould not draw much.

Back