• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil pump to pan clearance questions

97babyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
just got my new oil pump (high volume) torqued down, and set the pan on to set pick-up height and noticed the pump is not allowing the pan to drop all the way.

has anyone run into this problem??
ryan

Wish i could help, but I have never had one off.

Can you take a couple pictures to illustrate the problem.

i could try to snap some later, i have hammered to the side of the pan where the pump hits to allow for some more clearance but not quite enough, the pump is now just touching the pan.

All of the guys that build strokers and use this pump have to massage that side of the pan to make it fit properly. Hammer a few spots in the area where the oil pump pickup goes it will give you just enough clearance to make it fit.

If you don't get enough clearance, your oil pressure will suffer.

well its not the clearance by the pick-up thats the problem, its by the base of the pump thats causing the issue
noone makes a deep pan or anything for the 4.0??

This is for a 96.
part of the issue is that there's a bit of sheet metal (part of the ? windage tray or whatever it is) in the shallow part of the pan that has to come out

357505892_ede4cfc8fb_o.jpg

Once the chunk of sheet metal is removed clearance the pan further with a bfh. Use a hammer with a nice rounded edge so you don't split or pierce the pan during this process. It's reasonably thick metal so you'll have to hit pretty hard. I set the pan on a patch of grass so there was some give under it.

357509033_cac805603b_o.jpg

I also put a ball of clay on the pump pickup and set the pan on to check the pickup-to-pan clearance - supposed to be some clearance there (1/2 - 1?) so the pump doesn't suck crud. I used a conduit bender hooked on the pump pickup tube to bend it for a bit more clearance.

Seems to be working ok for me.

Back