• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Auto swap in a OBDii XJ.

MoonScryer

NAXJA Forum User
This will be happening in about a month. I got no problem putting the tranny in, it is the electrical part. If I don't use the TCU, but an AWShift unit, do I still need to pick up a speed signal from somewhere, or is this purely a TCU requirement?

As far as sensors, I can't find any on the AX-15 that would debilitate the ECU to run w/ an auto in it. Am I right in this?

If you go with the AWShifting setup, then you don't need anything else. You're just sending power to the appropriate solenoids to shift the tranny. The engine computer won't know the difference if you're swapping an auto in to replace a manual (the other way around will throw a code on an OBDII).

Just curious, if you want a manual shift setup, why not stay with the manual tranny?

After wheeling an auto and then a manual, I'm choosing the auto purely for easier wheeling. I want the manual set up because I can shift without thinking, and when I need to stop, I can actually stop without stalling.

Granted, I'm still stuck on 3.07 gears - I got some 3.55 axles wondering around i may try - but trying to find a happy gear when in 4lo is a joke. Plus I like to be able to enjoy driving, not having to play 3 foot monty while negotiating a hill. I don't do a lot of rocks, but mud is not fun when you stall out.

I also had the wonderful problem on Friday night of stalling out on a grassy hill when I had to stop at the top and then go again. I slid down the hill. The guy behind me threw it in reverse as quick as he could, which i'm glad for.

I'm going to continue wheeling the manual, see if the 3.55's help - I'm poor, so 4.10 axles are hard to get right now. My technique is crap on them for now, so I'm just exploring some options.

Last edited:
Back