• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Death wobble solved!

clunk

NAXJA Forum User
I have been experiencing mild "death wobble" while cornering for the last while, but since I don't drive the jeep too often, I never got around to doing much about it.

Part of the problem was that I had busted the swaybar links around 8 months ago, but eventually got used to driving it that way. I still havn't replaced them and doubt that I will since I don't find it handles much different as long as you drive accordingly. As time went on the "death wobble" got worse when I was cornering, and driving up rough logging roads it felt like the poor jeep was going to shake and rattle right off the road.

So, suspecting that my shocks were worn I had a look, and to my amazement the front shock stems (the part with threads that are secured in the engine bay) were pretty loose. I found that they had come unthreaded over time, allowing quite a bit of loose movement(around 1/4" more or less!). I tightened them down and the ride, cornering and behavior of the old jeep is great! I still need to replace the shocks at some point down the road, but that can wait until I lift it.

I just thought I'd mention this for anyone out there who has similiar poor handling in general.

You may want to check over your track bar and droplink if you did experince DW, the joints may now be shot. I had a similar issue after lifting my track bar was so bad that the ball joint end would flop from one side to the other and when it was over I could see the bottom side of it cause it had made its own unique pattern

Back