• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0L SWAP HELPPPPPPPPPPPP

mrveedub96

NAXJA Forum User
HEY IM VERY NEW TO THIS SITE LIKE 5 MINS NEW ANYWAYS I GOTTA 86 JEEP CHERRY W/ A 2.8 IN IT I WANNA DO A 4L SWAP B/C I HAVE A 4L JEEP 91 I WANNA NO HOW THIS IS DONE N WAT WILL I NEED FROM ONE JEEP TO THE OTHER OR IF U NO SOMEWHERE I CAN GET THIS INFO THAT WOULD HELP BIGG I NEED FROM START TO FINISH FOR THE SWAP:helpme:

mrveedub96 said:
Hello I'm new to this site. I want to swap a 4.0L into a 1986 XJ with the 2.8L piece of shat. What is the best means of going about this? Thanks for the help.
First off welcome to NAXJA. If you'll look where I quoted you, I changed some words around, that's more how you want to come across around here. Do type slower and use full words when you're trying to get a point across. To do this swap, you will need almost everything from the 91 4.0 including the whole wiring harness from the fusebox out. You will obviously need the 4.0L engine and transmission/t-case as well. Depending on when in 86 your Jeep was made, you may also have to do some rearranging of metal up by where the hood latches. Good luck with the swap.
-Collin

You mention you have the 4.0L (Cherokee?). Basicaly, you need to remove the front clip and swap everything, and I mean everything from the transfer case forward as none of it is compatable with the 86' chassis or wiring harness. You will need to change the radiator supports for the 4.0L style radiator and perhaps even style up some motor mounts as the frame side engine mounts are different also. The T-Case mount may also need to be moved. The driveshaft will likely also need shortening. In essence, you are building a Jeep.

A small mention of the post. Loose the caps. It is considered highly rude to type an entire message in caps as it taken as "Shouting". Also, use whole words, not ebonics, as it makes your post a bit more readable, and thus to be taken a bit more seriously.

Ron

Zuki-Ron said:
Also, use whole words, not ebonics
Yeah those aren't even really Ebonics they're just abbreviations and acronyms, but they are very hard to read and quite annoying.

ok thank you gentle men very much i heard from one person that you werent able to do the swap into a 86 body b/c of some firewall issues is this true

mrveedub96 said:
ok thank you gentle men very much i heard from one person that you werent able to do the swap into a 86 body b/c of some firewall issues is this true

OK - you've sorted the all caps problem, now slow down and let us breathe... Punctuation helps.

The front clip was lengthened for the 1987 model year to accommodate the longer block of the inline six - which is the sort of headache you're going to run into. If you want to know about firewall issues, you can compare the two (since you have them side-by-side) to see what you need to, er, "massage" with a hammer or just cut-and-weld. I know that the inline has a concavity in the centre of the firewall of about four inches - but I've not seen an earlier (1986-back) XJ or MJ to compare it to.

And, the fenders were lengthened - and the front crossmember and radiator support were pushed forward - to make room for the longer engine. So, you do have some work to do - but it can be done, and I'm fairly sure it has been done. I just don't know enough about it to give you any more detailed information than I already have...

Is there anything wrong with your 2.8. If your 86 is 'cherry' why swap the drivetrain? Seriously, that is more work than you want to get into if you REALLY don't need to.

Just my two cents.

trucksgottaheXJ said:
Is there anything wrong with your 2.8. If your 86 is 'cherry' why swap the drivetrain? Seriously, that is more work than you want to get into if you REALLY don't need to.

Just my two cents.

Yeah - it's a 2.8!

Getting one that doesn't leak is a relative rarity. However, you (OP) may find that the easier swap would be a RWD/4WD/AWD version of a 3.1L or 3.4L V6 - same external dimensions, but they don't leak and the power output curve is more useful for our purposes. S-series of F-body are likely donors, but the Goodwrench Service Replacement engines had starter mounts on both sides (to accommodate FWD and RWD,) so check for a starter mount pad on the backside (as mounted) of FWD vehicles as well.

ur 2 sence helps the cherry was just short for cherokee lol but the stock 28 threw a rod threw the block so yea i thinks it done n for everyone else this is a forum not an english class room its easier typing when everything is broken down so please leave the Punctuation n grammer criticism to ur self if u dont like t dont responced sorry to b so forward thanks

i was alos looking at a 350/350 combo b/c i have 1 laying around so i fig y not i no i need an adapter for trans to transfer case no biggy wat would the issues b w/ that as far as firewall clearance ino mounts r different n rad sopport but ill fab something up along the way

mrveedub96 said:
i was alos looking at a 350/350 combo b/c i have 1 laying around so i fig y not i no i need an adapter for trans to transfer case no biggy wat would the issues b w/ that as far as firewall clearance ino mounts r different n rad sopport but ill fab something up along the way

OK - I don't know if I've got this one decoded properly, so let me know if I miss something (I know it's difficult to type - it took me 22 years to learn it. However, do please check your spelling and such before you hit the "commit" button - it's easier to get answers to your questions if we know what your question actually is...)

You may find it easier to put the 350/THM350 combo in - Advance Adapters makes a mount kit, and the Chevvy 350 is only slightly longer than the AMC 2.46L I4 (by about an inch or so, I think.) However, you will need a 4WD version of the THM350, or you'll have to end up going with a "divorced" transfer case - where there is a short coupling shaft between the transmission output and the transfer case input.

Typically, refitting a gearbox from 2WD to 4WD requires replacing the output shaft and tailcone (automatic) or the mainshaft and tailshaft housing (manual.) Since you'd be tearing into the thing anyhow, you may as well overhaul the slushbox while you're about it.

I do believe, tho, that once the mount situation has been sorted, you'll find that little actual sheetmetal work would be involved when using the AA kit. You may want to check with Advance to make sure, tho. And, I'm almost certain that you're going to end up getting new driveshafts - since the AA kit probably pushes the engine back a couple of inches, and I'm reasonably certain that the THM350 is a different length than the TF727 and the TF904/909/999. So, an email exchange would probably be informative (and you'll definitely want to clean up your writing for them - most businesses like that don't have the time to try to sort out what you're saying. If you have to, write it in Word, spell-check, and then cut-and-paste into email - you'll get more useful answers that way.)

thank you very much but im not really understanding the difference in 2wd and 4wd trannys r the tail shaft different or something would a 2wd work or not and wat do u mean by divorce transfer case

mrveedub96 said:
thank you very much but im not really understanding the difference in 2wd and 4wd trannys r the tail shaft different or something would a 2wd work or not and wat do u mean by divorce transfer case

The 4WD transmission is slightly shorter than the 2WD, and typically has a flange to which the transfer case attaches (usually with studs and nuts.) The shorter transmission (to accommodate the transfer case) is done to allow the driveshafts to be a bit longer - which reduces the angles through which the Cardan (universal) joints operate, and to reduce noise and vibration (as well as increase joint longevity.)

A "divorced" mount is where the transfer case isn't bolted directly to the transmission, but separated just a bit with a shaft to couple the two. "Divorced" means, simply, "not together" - just like in real life.

The problem with a divorced transfer case is that the effective length of the assembly is longer - which makes the driveshaft shorter. This means that you have to pay far more attention to driveline angles when you're building, and that you lose articulation you would normally have (since you get to the maximum operating angle of the Cardan joint a lot faster.) That's why I suggested getting a 4WD version of the TH350/TH400, or converting yours (since I know I'd end up overhauling a junkyard automatic, it's the same amount of work either way. For me, anyhow.)

A 2WD transmission could be made to work - but it's easiest to leave it a 2WD vehicle, use a single driveshaft to the rear axle, and have the front axle "along for the ride" until you can get a 4WD transmission and transfer case. So, the idea isn't out...

Make any more sense now?

mrveedub96 said:
wat do u mean by divorce transfer case

well, sometimes, when a transmission and a transfer case don't love each other anymore, they get divorced. it doesn't mean they love you any less

:lecture:

And it is in no way your fault that they don't love each other

mrveedub96 said:

I think once you get into the V8's you're going to have to start thinking about extra weight and balance issues, but it's been done. I don't know if there's anyone here currently who has a V8 Cherokee, but back some years ago on the XJ forum that preceded this one, there was a guy named Doug or Dug who had a 350-powered XJ. My impression at the time was that he had put a lot of time and effort into the conversion. I don't remember what he used for a transmission. A 350 certainly has a lot of grunt, if you can build a drivetrain to match it.

Beyond a certain point, though, if your interest is in getting a fully functional XJ, and not in producing something unique and exotic, you might be better off finding another 4.0 to receive the guts of your totaled one.

There is an entire club of V8 xj's. This is not a new swap by any means. Try lookin on www.pirate4x4.com few write ups there.

Back