• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is This Normal?

Vincent

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all I'am a resident lurker and have been one for a year or so. I have a question I hope you might be able to answer... When at idle my engine starts to heat up past 210 and when the needle reaches about the mid point between 210 and the next line on the gauge my e-fan comes on and it returns to 210 then my e-fan shuts off. It will do this all day, never overheats or anything but it still makes me wonder if may be my clutch fan isn't working right (thankfully my e-fan works). At highway speed it will run about one or two needle widths below 210 unless running up a mountain pass then it will run at 210 or a needle width past 210. If i am climbing up a steep bush road in low range, at slow speeds it acts the same as if it were idling (e-fan kicks on and off constantly). Sometimes when i let it sit at idle (hood closed) i wait until i hear the e-fan kick in then i turn it off, pop the hood and give the clutch fan a spin wth my finger and it moves relatively freely (maybe turns one turn with light finger pressure). When the engine is cold and i give the clutch fan a spin it is significantly harder to move (which is normal). I just figure that the clutch fan should be getting a little stiffer at slow speeds and at idle as soon as it starts to get past the 210 mark on the temperature gauge and definitely more stiff once it gets to the point that the e-fan kicks in. Am I correct in thinking this? oh yeah, just about forgot, when it gets to the temperature where the e-fan kicks in and i rev the motor i don't hear any roaring or anything coming from the fan (ie. like it sounds when you first start the vehicle when cold in the morning.) It's a 96 sport 4.0 litre auto with tranny cooler. thanks in advance and look forward to your replies.

My fan used to do the same, constantly kicking on and off, It was a combination of a plugged rad and weak fan clutch. I can here my clutch fan roar a bit now at low speeds. Your temp seems very high!!

BCmaxx guess i should try a replacement fan clutch and get a rad flush and see where that gets me... I want a dealer fan clutch, but don't want to pay the 230.00 (can) for a new one when i can get one in the states off mopar.biz or similar sites for 106.00 (US) not including shipping especially since were on par now dollor wise. Any canadians have any experience buying oem parts from online american mopar parts dealers?

It actually sounds like your cooling system is working properly. When you are sitting at an idle the only airflow moving across the radiator is that moved by the mechanical and electric fans. Its normal for the e-fan to kick in and out.

Vincent said:
BCmaxx guess i should try a replacement fan clutch and get a rad flush and see where that gets me... I want a dealer fan clutch, but don't want to pay the 230.00 (can) for a new one when i can get one in the states off mopar.biz or similar sites for 106.00 (US) not including shipping especially since were on par now dollor wise. Any canadians have any experience buying oem parts from online american mopar parts dealers?

Nice detail in your first post. The fan clutch is shot. It should get very stiff, very hard to turn as it gets hot, like at 200 F. It should be nearly direct drive, no slipage at idle and at 200 F. They do go bad.

4wd.com has quite a selection of them online starting at $49.99. Call them and make sure you get the right one, or best one for your year, engine, model, as their seem to be at least three clutch models for that year for the 4.0 engines listed in their catalog.

Oh, and other than the bad fan clutch, it sounds like the rest of you cooling system is working fine, no need for a flush yet, unless it's just time to replace the coolant already.

thanx ecomike thats exactly what i needed to know. I thought the fan clutch should be getting at least a little stiffer to turn once my efan kicked in guess i will order one asap and get a coolant flush as it's about due anyway. Thanx everyone for your replies:) love this place.

Back