• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hi steer/hydro assist ?

blaisetd

NAXJA Forum User
I have a front waggy 44 that i'm planning on swapping into the XJ someday. I figured that i would do hi steer and hydro assist while i was at it. I ran across a picture of a framed jeep with a hi steer set up. Just from the picture i thought it would be difficult to mount a ram with the tie rod so far above the axle tube/dif. Should i scrap the hi steer plan?
BTW its a 1990 4.0 auto w/ Rock Krawler 8" lift, 8.8 locked rear & 35's. This is a trail only truck (for rocks) and i don't see myself going up from 35's.
thanks in advance blaise

I see what you are saying, you could get the highsteer arm for the pass flat top and run the drag link high and keep the tierod on top of the stock TRE location.

Many of us run D44's with high steer arms and ram assist. When you do the high steer, the track bar also needs to be raised to keep the geometry correct and avoid bump steer. You can mount the ram to the inside of the track bar axle mount, then to the tie rod.

Goatman said:
Many of us run D44's with high steer arms and ram assist. When you do the high steer, the track bar also needs to be raised to keep the geometry correct and avoid bump steer. You can mount the ram to the inside of the track bar axle mount, then to the tie rod.

Pics please sir?

This was an issue for me as well. With the tie rod so high i ended up mounting the ram underneath it. Though if I had moved the track bar forward instead of back, I could have possibly put the ram above the tie rod. Though it does present an opportunity to hit the ram, with a little extra awareness of where the ram is on the obsticles I have been fine thus far.

steeringa.jpg

for this do you use the stock steering box..whats involved with adding ram assist. as far as fabbing up parts it doesn't look all that hard. but what extra stuff do you need other then a ram

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/HydroAssistTap/index.html

It is pritty easy to do and makes a world of difference. Hydro assist is also the best steering dapener you can buy. It was the only way my jeep would go down the road with the seriously out of round boggers I was running.

I also mounted my ram below the tierod. I ended up welding a little bumper to the axle so that I would hit it instead of the ram.

There are lots of threads on the net that talk about how to rebuild the bod while you are at it. Just google "hydro assist"

Back