• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Injector(s) leakdown?

dyna

NAXJA Forum User
As of the last few days when I fire up my 87 4.0 it acts like its not firing in one or more cylinders for the first few seconds of running,after a few seconds it clears up and runs fine. It seems the longer it sits as in a couple days the more noticable it is. Im thinking an injector(s) is leaking and flooding one or more cylinders possibly. It seems to take longer to start anymore even when I turn the key on till the pump stops running to pressurize the system,and smells like fuel under the hood but see no leaks. IT sure seems like my mileage is in the toilet also as of lately, however it just passed smog here in Ca 2 days ago?? How to pin this down is beyond me without replacing all the injectors ect?? BTW the cap/rotor/plugs are new. Any ideas would be apprivated.

You can get an injector tester for this, though it requires not only the tester but a pressure gauge, making it a pretty expensive kit. Basically, though, the idea is to pressurize the system with the gauge on the rail, and then manually fire each injector and see how it affects pressure.

there is the possibility that the check valve in the fuel pump is leaking down too. Although that doesn't explain the fuel smell. what you can try, if you are mechanically inclined, is to:

1: pull the fuel rail off the manifold (leave the line(s) and injectors connected)
2: safety wire the injectors to the rail
3: cycle the key to pressurize the rail ( do this a few times if any of the injectors popped out in step one)
4: leave set for a while
5: check for fuel leakage at the injectors

should be dry....(course that was pretty obvious right?...lol)
that should be the easiest way to check for injector leakage. if they're still dry, and pressure still leaks down, the pump check valve is bad or you have a leak elsewhere.

the quick fire up idea sounds like it should work too.

Back