• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing Wheels? HELP

Djanvk

NAXJA Forum User
Alright something I'm missing here, I was going to rotate my tires on my 99 XJ Sport and took off the 5 Lugnuts, but cannot get the wheel off? Now I took off the center cap of the rim and there is a like larger something with a retaining pin in it, this is quite rusty, do I have to remove that also? This seems really rough to have to change a tire while traveling on the road, my tire changing gear that came with the XJ has only the Jack, pole to run the jack and the Wrench to remove the lugnuts...

HELP...

I've never had trouble changing tires in any other vehicle.

kick it. the aluminum and steel make this weird bond and the stick to each other. securely lift the jeep and take the lugs off. and give it a nice boot to the bottom. and it should pop off. also its should make no difference whether the brakes are on or off. as you are not venturing that far.

put some lithium grease on the mating surface to keep them from sticking again.

Hmmm...have you tried putting a little a$$ behind it. It should come off. That larger nut with the pin through it you are refering to is the axle nut. You don't have to take that off.

Steel wheels i'm guessing?

might have rusted to the rotor. shouldnt be that tough, but you might have to whack it with a big ass mallet....

and no, that pin/center bolt is for your hub.

Alright Been Kicking the SH IT out of it and nothing. Not a budge, I've soaked it with WD40. And I'm not a Weak Dude, I'm at the Gym 4 days a week bench over 300lbs.

Well Back off the kicking my Jeep

Sounds like a weak dude to me :dunno:

Kidding, kidding. Like they said it's basically rusted on. Thread 2-3 lug nuts back onto the studs, not quite hand tight. Then drive the jeep forward/backward and lock up the brakes. Try that a few times, tire should pop right off when you jack it back up.

Use caution, for obvious reason.

Good luck
:cheers:

Djanvk said:
Alright Been Kicking the SH IT out of it and nothing. Not a budge, I've soaked it with WD40. And I'm not a Weak Dude, I'm at the Gym 4 days a week bench over 300lbs.

Well Back off the kicking my Jeep
guessing at this point that it is aluminum wheels. sometimes they stick like that. galvanic corrosion and all that. hose it with PB and whack it with a four foot chunk of 6x6 wood post. if that still doesn't work heat the rim with a torch not to cut anyhing just to warm it up. aluminum heats much faster than the steel of the hubs that it is stuck too. if you listen carefully you will hear a noise like a click. then beat on it with the 6x6 again. make sure to put antisieze on the mating surfaces when you put wheels back on.

wrap a chain between both front wheels and tie it off to a tree, then put the rig in reverse and gun it!! they ought to pop right off.......:laugh2:

Tighten the lug nuts up by hand and then another turn with a wrench and put it in four-wheel drive and make sure that it's on the ground (ready to drive) and give the gas a tap, the torque should bust loose the oxidation that holds the rim to the flange. Or just get a little speed like 5mph and slam on the brakes.

just smack the back side of the tire with a sledge. should pop off in a couple hits. Mine was stuck like chuck when i bought it and this worked for me after i tried everything else

Back