• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Largest tire

techno1154

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
:) OK. Yes, I have been away from the forum for awhile. I just started a new job in South FL. No, I have not had a chance to go wheeling but I would love to.
I need to get some new tires and need to know the largest tire that would fit inside the XJ on the OEM tire mount. I want to go to 30" ; maybe 31".
TIA :D

30's are it ... and you may still get a lil rubbing when you flex... newer models are more likely to have a problem with that though...
mike

I run 30x9.50s on a stock '88 with no problems. Very slight rub on the lower control arms at full steering lock, but that's not really a "problem."

According to Ed Stevens' web page, on the '96 and older you can run 31s on a stock XJ if you use the OEM rims, and install taller rear bump stops.

If you run 31's you will not be able to disconnect the front anti-sway bar. I've got 2&3/4" of lift, trimmed fenders & 31's. Stuffed I am getting slight rubbing on the rear of the front fender well. I also have the plastic inner fender removed & the pinch seam folded flat. In the rear with trimmed fenders I have no trouble at all.

Back