• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NEED HELP PLEASE IM BEGGING!!!!

raymond32j

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I have a 1991 Cherokee Sport 4.0L with an auto trans. A couple of months ago I heard a noise coming from the bottom end. So i thought the bottom end was bad and took the motor out. Well come to find out it was just the flexplate bolts that were loose and making the nosie. So I was like so ill just clean it up a bit, change the gaskets and put it back it. Well the engine is in already, new gaskets and sensors EXCEPT for the CPS. Now the engine wont start. IT turns over but does not start. I moved the #1 piston to TDC and installed a new distribator and rotor facing the #1 tooth. I am getting fuel because i pulled the plugs and they look fouled out. Could it be the CPS??? I did some searching and found the if i werent getting no fuel then the CPS is bad. I am getting fuel and spark, so could the CPS still be bad and need replacing? Please i need your guys input because i need my xj by thursday to get to school to take my midterms. please, thank you.

Yes, it could be the CPS. It controlls "when" the engine gets the fuel & spark. JIM.

Firs thing to try with the CPS is check the plug near the back of the valve cover. It is notorious for problems. Unplug, clean the contacts and reconnect.

I think if you're getting spark, it is not likely the CPS. The CPS controls when the engine gets spark, but also whether. Check again that you're really getting spark. Also, since it's a 91, check for codes. It should throw a code if it's dead.

If you had the distributor out and rotated the engine while it was out, make sure you have the distributor at compression TDC and not exhaust TDC. Also make sure it is not a tooth or two off in either direction.

Ok so I replaced the CPS today. Then I reset the timing to #1 piston at TDC and it started. BUT it started running kind of rough and the engine started to seem like it was binding up. I turned it off and tried to restart it but it seem to be dying after a couple of times of restarting it. Now I don't know what to do. The couple of times I did manage to start it, it would run for like a minute and then there would be this loud sound and it would die. Any input would be great. Thank you again.

raymond32j said:
Ok so I replaced the CPS today. Then I reset the timing to #1 piston at TDC and it started. BUT it started running kind of rough and the engine started to seem like it was binding up. I turned it off and tried to restart it but it seem to be dying after a couple of times of restarting it. Now I don't know what to do. The couple of times I did manage to start it, it would run for like a minute and then there would be this loud sound and it would die. Any input would be great. Thank you again.
You might try retarding the distributor by one tooth.

Back