• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OBA and Airbags

Indertdxj

NAXJA Forum User
So I have been doing some design and research. I think this is what I am going to do. Any input please guys..

Run a hose from compressor to tank with saftey valve at 120psi, filter, flow controller (so air only flows away from compressor) and then a ARB solenoid valve to keep psi between 85-105.

After the ARB solenoid and before tank is the pressure gauge running into the cabin. (I am thinking of installing gauge in glove box door with main switch for compressor). Then the tank.

Any ideas for a tank? Has anyone seen a square one that might fit between chassis rail and drive shaft?

From the tank runs line to bumper for airing up. Also two other lines run to air bags on rear springs (next install). For this I would need a gauge for each air bag (also installed on glove box door) and a switch for each side bag.

In between each bag I would run a line with another solenoid valve in it. The switch for this would be in cabin. When off both bags operate independently (valve closed). When on (valve open) as one bag compressors it pushes air into the other side forcing articulation. Sound like that would work?

Later on; two more solenoid valves......one for each air locker!!!

So on the glove box door would be a gauge for the tank and one for each air bag. Also would be main compressor switch (connected to ARB solenoid valve) and a switch connected to solenoid valve for each air bag. I think in side the glove box will be 'missile' switcher (with read cover thing) to isolate the compressor and each air bag so no one can bump any switch on the door and set anything off accidently.

Cost?

Well I have two 12v compressors (one installed in passenger side gaurd).

ARB solenoid $50
Hoses etc $50
Flow controller $20
Gauges $40
Switches $30
Wire $20
Tank $60
Air bags.....two thoughts

http://www.accessconnect.com/dodge_j...ckup_truck.htm
$300 delivered.

http://www.truckspring.com/VSearchRe...&pt=179&fv=584
Same sort of price.

So around $500.
progress.gif

Seems like to me the bag woud limit articulation on the rear springs and would only help for towing... 4 link air ride is another story all together... a good set of valves are about 100 bucks for 2 (Intake and Exhaust) Are you planning to wire the rear spring bags for in-cab control?

i agree with lowrange2. the air bags would need to be pretty big. fully compress one side of the truck (rearof course) then get it full droop by compressing the other side. and measure both times where the bags would be. the bags would need to be able go from the smallest measurment to the biggest.
i've seena couple of trucks (not jeeps i don't think) that they put hydraulics on them for that purpose. but thats a very complicated system. they run the hydros to the spring mounts to litteraly move the mounting location.

there was a guy on here that ran air bags in the rear with a 1/4 eliptical set up. might want to do a search on that. I am pretty sure he sold his rig, but it was a red 2 door with full exo cage.

Back