• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Those Who Own JCR Steering?

sjd78

NAXJA Forum User
Im sure some of you will say SEARCH, and I did. But, I wanted some more current opinions.

1. How do you like it/what do you think of it?
2. Are you running over the knuckle or under?
3. Would you purchase it again or run another type/brand of steering?
4. If you are running over the knuckle what did you have to hack to make it fit?

I don't have JCRs but if they run the same DOM I run, 1.25 O.D. then it likes to hit the Disco mounts on the axle on the passenger side at full lock to the right.

1. I like it, its takena beating and is still straight
2. Over the knuckle
3. I would purchase it again
4. A lot (trackbar, coil buckets, way bar links, steering stabilizer mount)

Blue XJ said:
1. I like it, its takena beating and is still straight
2. Over the knuckle
3. I would purchase it again
4. A lot (trackbar, coil buckets, way bar links, steering stabilizer mount)

I am going to be running a T&T customs front truss with UCA mounts and an over the axle track bar mount so the track bar will be taken care of, the steering stabilizer will either get permenantly removed or relocated, I will be relocating the sway bar links ( I have the 2" taller JKS sway bar links) so I guess that just leaves the coil buckets. Did you just trim them back to the edge of the coils? How about your steering stops on you knuckles, did you have to do anything to them such as adjust them out?

sjd78 said:
I am going to be running a T&T customs front truss with UCA mounts and an over the axle track bar mount so the track bar will be taken care of, the steering stabilizer will either get permenantly removed or relocated, I will be relocating the sway bar links ( I have the 2" taller JKS sway bar links) so I guess that just leaves the coil buckets. Did you just trim them back to the edge of the coils? How about your steering stops on you knuckles, did you have to do anything to them such as adjust them out?

I just did another setup this weekend OTK.

I trimmed the coil buckets all the way back to the coils, this totally removed the steering stabilizer mount on the passenger side.

I also cut the stock sway bar mounts flush with the end of the coil buckets, then boxed in underneath both bucket brackets for looks and strength.

The new extended sway bar mounts got welded on the inner C's with a 1" DOM brace welded between them and the coil bucket on each side for strength. The same 1" DOM was used as a spacer on the mounting holes of the brackets to correctly align the sway bar end links (since the brackets got moved over 1" to the knuckles. These were welded on.

Then just install the steering OTK. YMMV, but I used 1/16" of washers behind the steering stops on the passenger side, and 1/8" on the driver.

I'm currently putting an OTK guide together with pics and instructions... look for it next week. It does take a while, but it's worth it for the way it drives on the street alone.

steering.jpg

monkeyevil said:

I trimmed the coil buckets all the way back to the coils, this totally removed the steering stabilizer mount on the passenger side.

I also cut the stock sway bar mounts flush with the end of the coil buckets, then boxed in underneath both bucket brackets for looks and strength.

The new extended sway bar mounts got welded on the inner C's with a 1" DOM brace welded between them and the coil bucket on each side for strength. The same 1" DOM was used as a spacer on the mounting holes of the brackets to correctly align the sway bar end links (since the brackets got moved over 1" to the knuckles. These were welded on.

Then just install the steering OTK. YMMV, but I used 1/16" of washers behind the steering stops on the passenger side, and 1/8" on the driver.

I'm currently putting an OTK guide together with pics and instructions... look for it next week. It does take a while, but it's worth it for the way it drives on the street alone.

steering.jpg

Thanks for the info! I will keep my eye on the website for the instructions next week. I am seriously leaning towards this steering system and would like to do it otk. I will do it at the same time I install the truss and shorten my track bar etc.

monkeyevil said:

steering.jpg
I put mine OTK, and only had to cut off a little bit of all things said above.

However, once they were cut, I would hit my track bar before anything else. Is there a reason some might have this "problem" and others dont?

RE Heavy Duty trackbar fyi.

monkeyevil When you get that link up for the write up, can you please post it up? I am gonna get this set up soon. SO I'm guessing this setup deletes the steering stabalizer from what I can see. I'm just worried that I'll hit my JKS track bar.

monkeyevil said:

steering.jpg

Time to move the track bar mount OA now. Those angles dont look so good.....

mattyj said:
Time to move the track bar mount OA now. Those angles dont look so good.....

Agreed there. Over axle bracket actually looks like it could make it to where he could run a straight panhard too which would be ideal if it'll clear the diff. That TJ doesn't look like its lifted much.

Back