• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gauge cluster swap

$50XJ

NAXJA Forum User
A used gauge cluster for my 91 xj just arrived. When i got my truck it just had a speedo and a huge fuel gauge. I got a full cluster with all the gauges off of e-bay for $30. Figured it'll look better than tacking on a gauge pod. The only downside is this cluster has 184k miles on the odom, and my truck only has 49k miles on it. I'll keep you all informed on how it goes.

Swap out the speedometers. The gauge faces may not exactly match (color/font) but the mileage recorded by the odometer will be accurate.

And since i can't edit my old post, my truck is a 93 not a 91 as I posted earlier. I'll get pics up as soon as I figure out how. Maybe i don't have enough posts to put up images.

I am about to do the same thing with my 99 XJ. The guage cluster I found is also from a 99 XJ. My milage indicator is electronic instead of the old roller type and the cluster I found has 20K more miles on it then the one I have. Has anyone here delt with the issue of getting the milage right on the new odometer? Also what has to be done to make the Tach work? Mine only has a speedo and fuel gauge.

Last edited:
You need to do nothing. The tach will work. And you do not need to change any sensors on your 99.

xjohnnyc said:
You need to do nothing. The tach will work. And you do not need to change any sensors on your 99.

Excelent! I was about to go ahead and get new sending units too. Glad I was running late today :rof:

wow this is old, but great news, I can just get a full cluster from a 99 xj and plug it in and i get everything? That seems too easy. I know where i can score one too

Back