• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

homemade co2 setup

a lot of guys i wheel with just go to the surplus spots for the coke or pepsi vendors and get those 4' bottles for like 80 bucks. they don't look great, but they do the job. they end up getting regulators from welding supply stores as well.

Can this o2 regulator be used at high pressure to inflate tires and then be turned down to 90psi to run air tools?Will there be any problem with this regulator freezing up more than the expensive power tank regs?

jeepdeepfreak said:
Can this o2 regulator be used at high pressure to inflate tires and then be turned down to 90psi to run air tools?Will there be any problem with this regulator freezing up more than the expensive power tank regs?
The O2 one that I have maxes out at about 150, and min is under 10. It's gotten cold and frosty when using an impact or air rachet for a while, and after the third set of Jeep tires are aired up after a trail run. But I've not experinced any trouble with it not putting out pressure. (I am assuming that is what they do when they freeze up?)

DAryl

everything is going to freeze up on you no matter what you do, that's just the nature of co2. now, it won't freeze up instantly, mind you, but like it was said before, after prolonged use, yeah, condensation on the outside will begin to turn to ice no matter how expensive the regulator is.

53guy said:
everything is going to freeze up on you no matter what you do, that's just the nature of co2.
I realize that, what I was wondering is, when most people talk about the regulator "freezing up", does that mean it stops regulating, or it stops flowing?

Thanks
DAryl

JEONLYEP said:
I realize that, what I was wondering is, when most people talk about the regulator "freezing up", does that mean it stops regulating, or it stops flowing?

Thanks
DAryl

If there is enough water in the CO2, it will freeze up the inside of the regulator and slowly stop flowing. It may be a problem if the tank was recently hydro tested (pressurized with water to test its ability to withstand the pressure). It really shouldn't be a problem from a decent gas supplier.

I've collected all of the parts, I've just got to fab a bracket. . . The thought of a A 20# tank getting loose in a roll-over or flop makes me nervous. .

The regulator that I used would only start to freeze up after filling 8 tires (one after another). So, your rig and your buddies rig. It was pretty rare that I used it any more than that.

http://www.projectxj.com/mods/co2.htm

co3.JPG

I got a fixed 150 PSI regulator from Telico4x4 for 35 bucks, and bought a 20 pound tank at a fire extinguisher shop. Total cost was 105 dollars, and the tank was filled and tested. If you "find" a Pepsi bottle some shops won't fill it because it's more or less stolen property according to them. Otherwise you could do it for practically nothing. Also when the regulator "freezes" it doesn't stop regulating, it just starts flowing at a slower rate. Typically it's not an issue.

Thanks for the input everyone.I'm going to the local fire extinguisher supplier tomorrow.Will a large fire extinguisher tank work for a co2 set up?

That's what I used... Ask the shop while your there if they have Vehicle brackets like the one in Fatwrecks picture!!!! Works great!!!

I use one, if you do use it for an extened time it will freeze up the lines. If you keep using it from there, I have had my pressure valve actually release some extra co2. It will scare the crap out you the first time it happens. This usually doesn't happen unless it runs continuosly for a long tom.

Ok tell me what you think of my idea.I'm thinking of using two 10 lb cylinders.One cylinder with a 150 psi fixed regulator to inflate tires and another 10 pounder with a 90 psi fixed regulator to run air tools.

Good idea?

19CHEROKEE89 said:
why not run the air tools at 150? thats where my home air compressor is set and ive never had any issues from the years of use out of my tools.

Air tool sare usually only reted to 90psi MAX, at least all of mine are.

The regulator that I used was pretty simple to adjust between the two pressures. You can carry two tanks if you want, but I never felt the need to have more than one.

Use an airflow regulator. lot cheaper to plug in another regulator into the 150psi than it is to carry that extra gear!!!

Back