• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wiring Question

rjohnson82

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 89' Cherokee that is going to be recieving an 88' engine and tranny. My question: What needs to be done in order to mate the wiring from the 88' to the 89'? And are there any other wiring issues that I need to be concerned with?

There should be nothing to change.

woodywagon said:
Should be plug and play as both are Renix motors

Agreed, assuming he is swaping a 4.0/AW4 for a 4.0/AW4. ????

I thought the same thing, but the firewall electrical connector for the EFI and the engine are not the same between the two years. I was told the computer is the same, but all the harness connectors are different.
Is this true?

I thought the same thing, but by looking at the two wiring setups, the 88 firewall harness is different from the 89.
Is this true?

The engine and tranny are the same between the two years!!!

Wiring harness can vary for the same year, like with and without crusie control as far as I know. The notorious C-101 firewall connector was done away with in 88 or 89, I THINK! But these should not afect the engine swap. All the engine and tranny sensors and control wires should exactly the same.

It may be the C-101 bulkhead connector that is different, but if all you are swaping is the engine and tranny it won't matter as the end connections and locations of the engine and tranny connectors are the same on both years.

If you are planning a wiring harness swap that is another story.

rjohnson82 said:
I thought the same thing, but by looking at the two wiring setups, the 88 firewall harness is different from the 89.
Is this true?

The engine and tranny are the same between the two years!!!

Yes, many 88's have the C-101 connector, and as far as I know 89's don't. If you're putting in an 88 engine, you should be able to use the entire 89 wiring harness. All the connections at the engine itself are the same, and the later harness is a definite improvement.

Back