• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

85 What engines fit

oldwillys

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 85 cherokee that I got for the cost of removing the vehicle. When I got it home and looked it over it is in nice condition has 84,000 miles but the engine is seized. PO said he had a oil light and drove it until it stopped running (he was trying to drive it home). I have not dropped the pan to see what is wrong yet. It has the 2.8 v6 I see they were also in the s10's so I am guessing it should not be too hard to pick up a engine just wondering what else will fit. Best I can tell this does not have a computer which is good for me as I do not like them just too hard to work on or maybe I am too old to learn In any case not interested in fuel injection or computer controllred stuff just looking for a easy engine to drop in.
Thanks Ed

Don't waste your time with the 2.8. Unless you want to dump a chunk of change into it to stroke it (3.2L), just get a rear wheel drive motor (another s-10) 4.3 or even a 3.4, but I would suggest the 4.3 first.

If you are looking into a motor swap with no major computer work you either have to stick with the 2.8v6 or change to the 2.5 that was offered in that jeep. Any other engine swap you are looking at more than what you are asking for as you stated you want something easy to swap in.
The 2.5 inline four cylinder is a good motor vs the 2.8 from GM. I have done a few of these swaps and can be done in a few hours by yourself with the right tools.

Kim

85xjwoody said:
If you are looking into a motor swap with no major computer work you either have to stick with the 2.8v6 or change to the 2.5 that was offered in that jeep. Any other engine swap you are looking at more than what you are asking for as you stated you want something easy to swap in.
The 2.5 inline four cylinder is a good motor vs the 2.8 from GM. I have done a few of these swaps and can be done in a few hours by yourself with the right tools.

Kim
I picked up a s10 engine with a 2.8 from a 86 s10
It had a TBI carb what do I need to swap over to use the convental carb set up on the 85 cherokee I know I need a electric fuel pump but what elese needs to be switched ? also my 85 Cherokee has the 904 auto trans
Thanks Ed

Back