• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

converting from auto to manual

well, i think my auto might be shot, so when it dies instead of rebuildiung it i was thinkin of swapping in a nv3550 or an ax-15. anyone have any expierence with this or have done it? i vagely remember timmy talkin about doin the conversion. or should i just get the aw4 rebuilt. any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

xjwest said:
well, i think my auto might be shot, so when it dies instead of rebuildiung it i was thinkin of swapping in a nv3550 or an ax-15. anyone have any expierence with this or have done it? i vagely remember timmy talkin about doin the conversion. or should i just get the aw4 rebuilt. any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Don't get the AW4 rebuilt. Either get an AW4 from a low mileage XJ or put in a manual.

xjwest said:
do u know how to do this?
Well it's not that difficult. You will have to get such things as the transmission, transfer case, crossmember, flywheel, clutch pedal and linkage, clutch master, clutch slave (and the line connecting the two). You will then need to get a hole saw to drill a big hole where the clutch pedal meets the master on the firewall and then it's a straightforward deal. The only other thing is figuring out the NSS-Reverse light deal. That I'm not sure on how to handle. I'm sure if you search around you will learn a lot about this though.
Hope it helps,
Collin

RenixPower said:
Well it's not that difficult. You will have to get such things as the transmission, transfer case, crossmember, flywheel, clutch pedal and linkage, clutch master, clutch slave (and the line connecting the two). You will then need to get a hole saw to drill a big hole where the clutch pedal meets the master on the firewall and then it's a straightforward deal. The only other thing is figuring out the NSS-Reverse light deal. That I'm not sure on how to handle. I'm sure if you search around you will learn a lot about this though.
Hope it helps,
Collin

You'll need new drive shafts also. The gears in a manual are 3.07, in an auto, they're 3.53, or something like that. Something else to consider.

sigmund said:
The gears in a manual are 3.07, in an auto, they're 3.53, or something like that. Something else to consider.
That only sweetens the deal though.

Back