• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will a TJ D30 swap in?

Skits

NAXJA Forum User
I know I'm the new guy. I really searched, I promise...even used google. :)

I inherited a '99 Classic, which I like, but its 2WD. I've read several threads on here about converting to 4x4, and I'm getting ready to hit the salvage yards in search of parts.

I was wondering if a D30 out of a TJ will swap right over, and if not what would be required. I know they're drivers side drop, and one place I found on the web listed the track width to be within 3/4" wms to wms. Are all the brackets in the same place? TNT lists the same part number for both XJs and TJs for their Dana 30 truss, so I think its looking good...

While I'm at it, what about the tranny and transfer case? They're both AW4/NP231, right?

I just figured that TJs might be more common in salvage yards than XJs, and if I came across one I could start getting parts...

Thanks.

-Skits

Edit:

Found a pic of a TJ axle, if its any help...

w4-046-fD30rD44.jpg

Last edited:
You will find 30 XJ's to every 1 TJ you find. Their are so many XJ's you will get tired of looking at them. Just pick one and pull all the parts you want, it would be even easier to buy the whole Xj so you have every little part you need.

The tj axle is low pinion so that sucks it will still work but would no be as good as a high pinion D30. But the shafts of a TJ are the 297 shafts which have a better u-joint. If i were you i would get the high pinion d30 non disco out of a xj and swap the shafts at the junk yard and buy that baby

Ahhh, I didn't know they were low pinion. Scratch that, then. The '95 and up XJs have the 297 u-joints and the 23 spline output on the tranny (according to the FAQ), so I guess I'm going to try and find an XJ in that range.

I'd like to drag a whole XJ home and start swapping parts, but I really don't have the space. Our last house had 7 acres and lots of room for my dream shop...but it was too far out in the boonies for my wife. Now we live 6 miles closer to the mall...shes much happier... :D

Why the hell would they make the TJ with a low pinion axle anyway?

damn chrysler thats why :D are you sure its not 97 and up? my 95 has 260 shafts (maybe i was just unlucky) i know the later models have them watch out for 2000 or 2001 models they also have low pinions

Ill chime in about the trans and t case. They do not use the aw4, and I believe that the t case is basically the same unit just desiigned a little different

Gerr said:
cant help ya much on the tj xj stuff but I applaud you for being a member with 4 posts.

Thanks

I spent a lot of time on a motorcycle board before my new house demanded its sale for downpayment. It was one of the few bike sites that wasn't overrun with tools and morons spouting misinformation. There were lots of guys on there who really knew their stuff, and wouldn't hesitate to walk you through something or call you on the phone to answer a complicated question. I learned a lot from that site, and ended up doing nearly everything you could to that bike with knowledge I gained from there. We had rallys and 'mod parties', helped each other out with parts for free or cheap...you get the idea.

This site strikes me as very similar, and what I've learned already is well worth a few bucks a year.
upthumbs.gif

On the original question...thanks for the info. Doesn't seem like a TJ really has anything I need, so I'll stick to the XJs. I'd like the stronger shafts/u-joints, but I'll just have to see whats available. Too bad nobody is open on Sunday.

Second on the drag one home, it's really handy to have them sitting next to each other on a hard driveway and be able to roll the creeper back and forth between them. Save you alot of time and gas money from the 'I don't think I'll need that part' trips.
If you do grab it from the yard, grab everything from the console on down and don't forget the cabling either, as well as the bulbs in the instrument cluster.

Late 95 XJs went to the stronger 297x shafts. As you can see, some of our '95 drivers have the earlier 260s so you can't guarantee that any 95 will without measuring the cap.

The tenth character on the VIN will be the model year - look for 'T' in that position to indicate a 1996, or look for the newer body style for the '97+

While the TJ axle is a drop-in to the XJ, the low-pinion design is a step backwards for XJ owners other than the 00-01 guys...then it's the same axle.

XJ production info - http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/history.html

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Yucca-Man said:
Late 95 XJs went to the stronger 297x shafts. As you can see, some of our '95 drivers have the earlier 260s so you can't guarantee that any 95 will without measuring the cap.

The tenth character on the VIN will be the model year - look for 'T' in that position to indicate a 1996, or look for the newer body style for the '97+

While the TJ axle is a drop-in to the XJ, the low-pinion design is a step backwards for XJ owners other than the 00-01 guys...then it's the same axle.

XJ production info - http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/history.html

Jim www.yuccaman.com
Nice info, much appreciated. I'm gonna hit the yards this coming saturday, and I'll keep an eye out for a rolled or blown-engine XJ in the meantime. I may end up just being patient until I come across the right deal on a wrecked Jeep...need to sell some motorcycle parts to help fund this a little anyway.

Last edited:
Back