• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aw4 not upshifting when hot.

i was driving from ft. huachuca to tuszon this morning and as i was getting closer to tuszon the rpms started to get higher and when i got off the freeway the tranny was having a very hard time shifting from first to second gear, and also once i got to fourth gear the rpms woldnt drop down. so is my tranny shot? please help!

Have you checked the TPS? Verified torque converter operation? X2 jess on the fluid level/color? Trannys seldom just immediately start experiencing mechanical problems, especially if they work fine when cold. TPS is a definite thing to check as a faulty signal from it can feel like a tranny on the way out.

xjwest said:
so how does the tps affect the tranny?

The TPS gives "throttle position" input to the tranny controller which tells the tranny when to shift.
Mine would stop working well after about 30min driving. It would have trouble shifting out of 1st till about 4000 rpm's.
Check for fluid level as stated before and check for water in tranny fluid. (milky colored stuff). Is the tranny fluid really dark red?
Maybe just needs a good flush and filter change.

Back