• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front End Noise Continues

Firewater

NAXJA Forum User
So, now that I've missed three days of my vacation due to this front end squeak/chirp, I'm getting more than a bit P****d!

In a futile effort to eliminate the problem, a buddy and I attempted to burn the hay stack down to find the needle . . . so to speak. We replaced the idler pulley, harmonic ballancer, and S belt. That sound remained.

At this point (after missing 2 days of fishing:flamemad:), I decided to take the jeep to a competent mechanic. (this, by the way, was demanded by my girl who had taken to calling us the two stooges--ah, maybe justifiably)

Mechanic put on the stethoscope and said 99% sure its the alternator. I said, that is wierd, but told him do what you got to do, I got some bass to catch.

All good right? Wrong! Mechanic comes back: "I got good news and Bad news. The good: You just got yourself a brand new altinator for free :kissyou:
The bad: the sound is comming from behind the timing belt cover:twak: "

I only have 111,000 miles on the jeep. I thought timing chains lasted the life of the vehicle. And the sound happened all of a sudden. What gives? What factors could lead to premature death of a timing chain? (The Harmonic ballancer did not eat through or really damage the cover at all)

Could this guy be wrong?

Make sure the harmonic balancer is not rubbing the timming chain cover, they are bad about the 2 parts seperating and the outer ring hitting the cover.

scottmcneal said:
forget noise an go fishing, all it can do is get louder then it will be easy to find :looney:

Thought about that, but will be just don't feel right driving over 500 miles to Maine with it like that. Nothing can ruin a trip more than being held up at some motel in the middle of nowhere while you are a the mercy of some mechanic.

As for the HB hitting the T chain cover, I really saw no evidence of that. I did replace the HB (which was really still OK) but there was no change to the sound.

I'm just concerned about how my timing chain could be destroyed with only 111000k on the engine. Could there be some way it is not getting oil or something? Has anyone else had this problem? Its just got me thinking is all.

Back