• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any 85 XJ's in here?

XJ_Owner

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I have an 85 stock XJ. Does anyone have one that or does anyone want to tell me what would be the best way to put on a lift.

Which is better to get a good 3" lift for lifting my 85 XJ in the rear? add-a-leaf, longer shackles or spacers?

I like ideas so if you can gimme some thanks

-Joffrey-

I am not aware of any difference with regard to lift between a '85 and any of the more common years (87 and newer).

But the best place to start would be to do some significant searches in the Technical section.

There is TONS of information on this forum about this.

Here are some basic's:
3" full leaf pack will be much nicer/more money, better for a Daily Driver.
3" AAl will be fine, support the current leaf pack, cheaper than new leaf pack.
Don't use a longer shackle on a old stock leaf pack.
Don't use blocks on a stock leaf pack.

It would be more helpful if we understood your total intentions for this vehicle.

Michael

Well I plan on taking it out into the mountains soon, but I have a short amount of money at hand so I jus want to put a 3" lift on, and I didnt know what was better or if they worked all the same.

I had an 85 XJ Waggy Limited. It had the 2.5L and a 3 speed auto, and the 228 Transfer case. I junked it last year.

I would just put a budget boost on it (rubber front 2" spacers/ longer rear shackles) and buy some longer shocks and a set of 31 swampers and wheel it.
Maybe have sombody weld the rear end to help you go places.

When I first started with my 85 I got the 3" lift from Rough Country. For $225.00 plus shipping you can get that lift which comes with lifted coils for the front, long add a leaf for the rear and four shock absorbers. I wheeled the crap out of this lift and treated me great. For the money it is worth it.
Install I did myself with lots of PB Blaster. Budget boosts are good but not great. The rubber spacers up front compress a stock coil spring ALOT and don't offer much of a decent ride on the road let alone up travel off road. HTH.

Kim

Back