• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

QUICK HELP PLEASE: Disco 30 Intermediate SHAFT REMOVAL??

barillms

NAXJA Forum User
Please help me out... i've done this 3 times and I need some help this time.
It's getting late....

I'm putting a one piece passenger side axle shaft in my friends 88 Cherokee disco front dana 30
as we speak..... to replace the two piece shaft.

I CANT GET THE INNER SHAFT OUT????????

WHATS GOING ON HERE? All the others I have done come right out?

WHAT IS HOLDING THE INNER SHAFT IN PLACE??
What do I need to do to remove it??

I've tried everything I can think of???
Stumped...

Please help me quickly if you can....
THANKS HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I read in a post somewhere that the inner shaft is held in with a "c" clip similar to a d35 rear

I have an 88 XJ, the other 3 XJs I've done... the inner shaft slid right out?
I'm stumped totally.

I imagine the carrer needs pulled to get to the C clip if this is the case?

DOES ANYONE know if the 1988 Dana 30 disco axle uses a C CLIP on the inside of the inner two piece shaft?

I thought they were all the same??
My 88 MJ Disco 30 has NO C clip.
Hmmmmm

seems all my post '90 having C clip, only on the right side.
I guess was only for assembling purpose, i've left the C clip away after reassembly, with the locker inside and I've done abut 30000Km without problems

They all came with c-clips but the clips aren't really that necessary so many people don't bother putting them back in. Chances are the axles you've taken apart in the past have been dissassembled prior to you touching them and the c-clips weren't re-installed.

Pull the diff cover and pop the c-clip out...a screwdriver and a small hammer work well. It won't take much to get it to pop out.

Bender said:
Pull the diff cover and pop the c-clip out...a screwdriver and a small hammer work well. It won't take much to get it to pop out.
Nah nah nah... thats not right.
The C-clip is on the very end of the axle shaft which is INSIDE the carrier, and hidden by the spider gears. So, theres much more to it, then just "popping" it out with a screwdriver.

I'm still trying to figure out the easiest way to access the thing.
But I've gotten 15 different reponses.

Back