• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My best guess is fuel filter..

9t3country

NAXJA Forum User
you know how the story goes - drove to Menards - ran fine , picked up some paint, died after going 1 block on the way home.....

-after about 10 minutes it fired right up, & it ran fine the rest of the way home. So, is it just a clogged fuel filter? (171,000 on a '93 4.0), or something more sinister?

Either way I should probably change it...so could someone be so kind as to tip me off where it is?? (sorry kind of a chick question (no disrespect to any female NAXJA members!:dunce: ))

(& yes, I just searched everywhere & couldn't find an any info...probably because everyone but me knows where their fuel filter is)

thanks,
Erik

If you want to go ahead and change the filter, its on the passenger side, close to the fuel tank. I'd replace the fuel injection hose clamps if they're rusty.

(Before changing the fuel filter, I like to pull the fuel pump relay out of the PDC and then crank the engine to relieve the fuel pressure (the PDC is a black plastic box near the battery) When you pull the PDC cover off, a chart is on the underside of the cover showing which relay is for the fuel pump.)

When a 4.0 jeep engine suddenly cuts out, it's probably not the fuel filter. Without a check engine light and trouble codes, its harder to find the cause. Theres a few basic tests for fuel and spark you could try.

Kind of sounds like a failing CPS (crankshaft position sensor).

Last edited:
Yea, that's what I was thinking. A clogged fuel filter was cause bad performance and such - not much acceleration, loss of power.....and the list goes on.

CPS is a big thing around here. Search and you will find info on the crankshaft position sensor, and what to check for (fuel at the fuel line, spark at the coil and distributor, etc.

Got any pics of your 93 Country? I've got a 95....swell rig!

thanks for the inforguys - I figured it had to be something else. I have been PB Blasting the exhaust bolts, prepping it for surgery - I wonder if this effected the CPS? Also, the only CPS Advance Auto has (closest parts store) is a "GP Sorensen" - is this a suitable replacement?

Thanks again,
Erik

& pics are on the way (as soon as I can figure out my digital camera :banghead: )

Get the CPS from the dealer, it's real PIA to change unless you were raised in a circus by the lead contortionist. Certain things I only go OEM, fuel pump, CPS, etc. Anything that is a PIA to change gets OEM.

Back