• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Auto to Manual

imfrankyj

NAXJA Forum User
my jeep has over 200k and from what the previous owner said it has the original trans. It is a 92 with an auto. I am getting really tired of the 1-2 it is random how it shifts. sometimes it goes into 2nd when I need the engine to help slow me. and sometimes when I am in 4LO I need 2nd and it never goes into it. I was wandering how hard of a job it would be, or if its posible, to put a manual trans into the jeep. Has this been done? What Trans would be recomended?

imfrankyj said:
my jeep has over 200k and from what the previous owner said it has the original trans. It is a 92 with an auto. I am getting really tired of the 1-2 it is random how it shifts. sometimes it goes into 2nd when I need the engine to help slow me. and sometimes when I am in 4LO I need 2nd and it never goes into it. I was wandering how hard of a job it would be, or if its posible, to put a manual trans into the jeep. Has this been done? What Trans would be recomended?

I know it has been done, but not how to do it personally. I would either look for a maual from another 92' or verify that it is indeed an AX15 (the manual transmission) and buy a rebuilt.

You definitely need to do research on what transmission you will want, I believe the AX15 came in variety of setups as far as the master/slave cylinder is set up. (Internal or external). Don't quote me on that, I never really looked into it, I already have a manual in both of my Heeps.

Here is a good start for info: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=101120
So, it looks like an AX15 or a NV3550 wouldn't be too bad as a swap.

Oooh, another good link:http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/transmission_gateway.htm

I've heard of a company that makes a manual shift module for the AW4. it's a new trans controller that allows manual shift or full auto with the flick of a switch. I think the site is www,awshifting,com, check it out. I've been thinkin about it for mine, not one of my top priorities right now tho.

Holy crap yeah! I forgot about that thing! Good call TribalMentality :)

Yeah there are a fair number of writeups on using that device or similar homebrew creations. If you keep looking, you should find a couple out there. I am not certain however that any of the write ups are on naxja, seeing as how most of the people who have done that mod seem to have TJ's.

I seem to recall seeing a picture of a rig where the fellow made a switch panel that sits on his shifter column, with a bunch of gear select buttons and other auxilliary switches. Looked kinda cool IMO.

you'll find that site, and many threads about it on here, as the site belongs to a fella on here. Somewhat of an authority on the subject, search it out and you'll find more than you can read in a week.

Back