• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

where is the fuel pump relay?

whatevah

It's Yellah!
my 2001 XJ is sitting out in my work parking lot... the starter spins and spins, but the motor wont fire. I can't hear the fuel pump, I can always hear it if I listen for it. I'm guessing it's either the fuel pump or the relay (or fuse, don't have needle nose to get it out, here).

I know the pump is going to be a pain (and expensive) to replace, but where is the fuel pump relay? gonna try that right after I check the fuse.

also, any other ideas about why it's not firing? it was sitting for 9 hours on a slight incline (nose up), started and ran fine this morning (also on an incline, though). has a half-tank of regular gas, filled up 140 miles ago.

In the PDC under the hood, If you suspect a relay you can switch it with another relay....like the A/C or something else, most are the same part number. Try banging on the bottom center of the tank with a Big hammer this will get the fuel pump to start pumping sometimes if you need to move it anywhere.

I had a big guy get under it and kick it... didn't help. *sigh* got a ride home tonight, so I'll grab some tools tomorrow. of course, that fuel pump is one of the few Jeep parts I can't buy at wholesale cost.

followup... moved all of the relays around to test, and checked the fuses. nothing. confirmed that there was no fuel pressure in the fuel rail.

noticed that I couldn't get a reading with the OBDII scanner, and had "No Bus" showing on the odometer, and no voltage or fuel level was showing when the key was in "On" position. nuts!

slammed on the dash a few times, nothing... removed the dash around the gauges/radio (snaps and phillips screwdriver) and removed the display. cleaned the connectors on the back and adjusted them a little to fit tighter and plugged the display back in. waited a few minutes, and it started showing a code on the OBDII scanner (P1694) and it fired up! I guess a lot of hard wheeling plus a lot of dust from the PA All-Breeds Jeep Show over the weekend caused a little havoc for the computer. now, I need to figure out how to get the other car back from work. hehe

Back