• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Differences of 97 vs. pre-97

TXRIVERRAT

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 91 now that I know all about, but I have the opportunity to buy a 97 that is missing a few parts. It has a new motor and tranny (4.0/auto) but no transfer case, were these the 231 or the 242 or either? It is a Country in very good condition except for sheet metal damage in front from a wreck. I have tried to research the pros/cons of the 97, but haven't come up with much. I can pick this up for a smoking price but don't really need it, I was thinking about switching my stuff over to it or just parting it out the rest of the way.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Well its an updated look. Mechanical upgrades could be a sealed t-case output shaft, slightly stronger motor due to intake, etc. Possibility of a 29 spline 8.25 axle. Get the VIN and email jeep for a build sheet and you can find out exactly what it has if you can't get onsite and crawl around under it yourself.

Virtually everything improved with the 97+ models. The most important of which are dual airbags, and a better body/roof that holds up longer in rollovers. Like said above, the engine got tweaked a little for better power, and the transfer case was changed slightly. I think the interior of the 97+ models are worlds ahead of the previous years.

The only things I can think of that are "wrong" with the 97+ models is that there is no fuel filter that you can change easily, the 2000+ models had cylinder heads that could crack easier, and the Dana 30 front axle was changed to a TJ type low pinion that doesn't like lifts as much.

Thanks y'all, I have the VIN so I'll shoot Jeep an email and see what I get. The T-case is already gone and the guy doesn't know what it had in it, I guess the only reason I wanted it is because it's so cheap and it is a newer model with sunroof. I could easily make my money back and then some (alot) if I parted it out. I don't know, I'll have to think about it more.

Oh, and both airbags are deployed, but these are trail only rigs for me with the occasional street trip.

I don't suppose the TCU is the same as the one on an 89 is it, I have one out of an 89 and this 97 needs one.

Last edited:
Does it have ABS? If NOT it has a factory Chryco 8.25 :yelclap:, which is an awesome axle and can compare to the D44. If it's a sport or SE model, you will notice that the grille and headlight buckets are not paint matched to the body... Ugggly!!! 98+ even the base models got this, although its purely cosmetic.

Also, it is fairly rare for a 97+ ac system NOt to leak from the evaporator inside the dash. The only ones I have seen that worked since purchase have been 99s. They are also prone to vac leaks (lines run under battery, often rot there). If you need info on any electrical problems, shoot me a PM... I have a lot of information on these I can send.

Personally I love the 97+s, you just have to get used fixing their annoying little quirks. i.e. blower only working on 4, ac vents stuck on defrost, non-working cruise, etc. I would get it providing the price is reasonable.

darjevon said:
Personally I love the 97+s, you just have to get used fixing their annoying little quirks. i.e. blower only working on 4, ac vents stuck on defrost, non-working cruise, etc. I would get it providing the price is reasonable.

Also remember that it's an xj, every one will have it's quirks. Personally all of these things mentioned work perfectly on my 98, so its a crapshoot, pretty much.

So is it the white one from craigslist?

TXRIVERRAT said:
I have a 91 now that I know all about, but I have the opportunity to buy a 97 that is missing a few parts. It has a new motor and tranny (4.0/auto) but no transfer case, were these the 231 or the 242 or either? It is a Country in very good condition except for sheet metal damage in front from a wreck. I have tried to research the pros/cons of the 97, but haven't come up with much. I can pick this up for a smoking price but don't really need it, I was thinking about switching my stuff over to it or just parting it out the rest of the way.

Thanks in advance for any input!

One more thing, check the crossmember behind the bumper. If it is bent in, don't expect the thing to align or wear tires well at all. Also you may have EXTREME trouble mounting the bumper.

Back