• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help Quick

jeepxj2007

NAXJA Forum User
We have a 2000 jeep cherokee, changing out front axle shaft u-joints, I have rotor, caliper, tire, cotter key, spring washer off the hub assembly up to the wheel bearing/spindle nut, we cannot get either side off for the life off us, we have soaked it in pb blaster, beat the socket onto it, took a 3 foot pipe wrench onto the socket, went to other side and held back with a breaker bar, I even tried jumping on the pipe wrench, on either side nothing creaked, moaned or gave that forgiving cry of release.... :(...any tricks on how to break this nut free, is there anything else holding it?..every vehichle I have changed these on you could take a screw driving and tap the nut to get it to spin, not the case with this fella

That nut is just very very very tight. If you have the cotter pin out, it should come off. I have had badly rusted ones that needed heat to come loose, and a torch might be the next step. Otherwise, it's just a matter of putting the force to it. I've always tried getting the nut off first, with tire on the ground. Yo'll almost certainly never crack it loose if you're first taking up play in the drivetrain. A pipe wrench is also not the very best tool, because of the flex and slack in it. You're best off with a 36 mm. socket and a 3/4 drive flex handle, with a pipe cheater on the handle. I've managed with a 1/2 inch drive flex handle and socket with pipe also, but it helps to use one like a Craftsman with a warrantee so you can get a new one if you break it.

Anyway, my first recommendation is to put the wheels back on and do it on the ground.

so i'm guessing you don't have an air compressor or air tools???

i've never had one i couldn't get off with this bad boy

IR-2135TI.jpg

Back