• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lock-out Hubs

shierkahn

NAXJA Forum User
I was thinking of getting a D30 from a older CJ(86) And was wondering.... would I be able to use parts from it to convert my D30 in my XJ without having to use the whole axle? If so, does anyone know what I will need to get in addition to make it work? Thanks, Chris

The whole inner C and outer knuckle assembly would need to be removed from the CJ axle, and since the CJ & XJ D-30 axle tubes are different diameters (the CJ is bigger than the XJ) you would need to machine a piece of tube to make up the difference between the two, slip it in the axle tube hole on the inner C of the CJ, and weld it to the XJ axle tube. This is just a VERY abrieviated version of what has to be done, so no, it's not as easy as unbolting the hubs from one and swapping them onto the other, if that's what you're asking...

MileMarker's kit is pretty darn good for $600. Look around and you'll find it for as low as $550 shipped! Then you can run some crazy positive caster and your heep will ride like a cadillac on the highway. I was able to get 9 degrees on my friend's rig.

Thanks, that's about all I needed to know. i don't get out enough to justify spending the $$$ for the conversion kit, MM or Warn. so I guess I'll have to wait and figure out something else. Thanks again, Chris

BlackJax said:
MileMarker's kit is pretty darn good for $600. Look around and you'll find it for as low as $550 shipped! Then you can run some crazy positive caster and your heep will ride like a cadillac on the highway. I was able to get 9 degrees on my friend's rig.

Why did you go to 9? Factory spec only goes up to 7

Running more positive caster means greater stability at higher speeds/straight line driving. Factory spec doesn't matter because with lockout hubs pinion angle really isn't important. Keep in mind down here people run rockwells with hubs out and 49" boggers on the street, so it may not be acceptable to some. ;)

why stick dana 30?

find a d44 and rob it of the knuckles out!

stronger cheaper setup.

Back