• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sunroof, moonroof....?

need4speedjp

NAXJA Forum User
I saw my first XJ with a sun roof today, and it got me thinking
about how nice it would be with the record high temps these days,
and my busted A/C,was curious if anyone has done this,
(sunroof,moonroof...) and With all the offroad flexing on the
unibody have any effect. would any extra bracing be needed?
thanx.

I've been looking at the smaller ones used in RVs to use one on each side of the overhead console. I can't imagine that any additional bracing is necessary, and when browsing my FSMs, I've never noticed any mentioned for the sake of a sunroof.

I looked at getting one installed in my old jeep and was told it could be done but they are prone to leaking when it rains. It is hard to get a good seal with the shape of the roof. I could have been feed a bunch of BS too but I trust the guy that told me and he also drove an XJ with out a hole in the roof

my xj has a sunroof and the ex owner sealed it off before i got it and ima bout to unseal it cuz it lleaks ne wayz. id rather have a full hardtop personally.

I've got an aftermarket one in mine I installed myself,,, no leaks yet.... Most will over time though... With the shape of the roof, it's hard to do, but if you use that gooey black sticky rubbery stuff the put windows in with,,,, it works pretty good.... I have seen a limited with what looked to be a factory one,, but I think they are pretty rare...

My Mj has a factory one. The glass doesn't leak and the drain tubes all work, but the rubber had sharnk away from the metal, allowing water too pool on top. WHen you went around a turn it would dump water on you. A little RTV and it's been fine since. I'll take pics when I get home today. It's not in bad shape for being 20 years old.

someone here ran a taounnau (sp) cover like a rag top for a big convertable... it was really sweet and sealed up perfectly bc he mounted the rails on roof and sealed everything...the cover was from a toyota shortbed i think...anyways a really cool idea

I'll ret to post some pics of mine soon. I bought mine with the sunroofand it was installed by ASC(american sunroof company). Its been in since 2000 I believe. I'll check the sticker in the glove. It is full power with the tilt and totally open. It does rattle mostly when it rains but as far as leaking not a drop yet. I think most companys try to stay away from the XJ cause of the ribs in the roof making everything difficult. And if you are 6' or taller the headroom starts to lack due the the drop in the headliner

here are the pics sorry for the delay. The sunroof was installed in feb of 2000 according to the sticker in the glove and I believe the website is www.electricsunroof.com, and the company is ASC american sunroof company

click to enlarge

Back