• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can't get T-case crossmember stud out.

glennv

NAXJA Forum User
OK it's pretty obvious I'm on vacation and am tinkering with the Jeep due to the number of threads I've started this past month.

Problem of the day. I tried pretty much every method of getting the studs out of the frame. I tried a stud puller, the jam nut method, PB-Blaster, heat and it won't move. I need to install a 1" drop. I stripped the stud on one side and can't get it out. Has anyone just cut it off and tapped it for a new bolt? If so what size bolt did you tap it for?

It's a 98 so anyone who has an older XJ are lucky b%stards. I miss the old four bolt deal on my 93.

Some beast vise grips. And if you can get new nuts on there, why won't it budge? Give it some more ass :wave1:

glennv said:
OK it's pretty obvious I'm on vacation and am tinkering with the Jeep due to the number of threads I've started this past month.

Problem of the day. I tried pretty much every method of getting the studs out of the frame. I tried a stud puller, the jam nut method, PB-Blaster, heat and it won't move. I need to install a 1" drop. I stripped the stud on one side and can't get it out. Has anyone just cut it off and tapped it for a new bolt? If so what size bolt did you tap it for?

It's a 98 so anyone who has an older XJ are lucky b%stards. I miss the old four bolt deal on my 93.

are the 98 and 97 different?
I swear I had only 4 bolts on my 98...

My 99 had two studs and two bolts.Came out easy,the again my xj has never been off road till I got it.I had used sea foam in a spray can days before doing anything.

Not to sound like a wuss, but after much swearing and trying different things...I had the guys at tire place take mine out. Took 'em five minutes (%&#!!) and didn't even charge me (of course I just bought $1000 worth of tires too). Apparently having the right tools and a lift helped. Just a thought...

an 8" pipe wrench and a 12" length of 1" steel tubing to work as a cheater on the handle of the pipe wrench will turn just about anything you can fit the jaws of the pipe wrench on assuming you've got the strength of at least a 12 yr old girl..

same as the vise-grip method but gives you way more leverage to bust loose the corrosion that is holding the stud in there..

then just scrap can the studs and replace them with bolts..

The method I used to take the studs out was the grind down the sides of the stud, thus giving it a squared shape versus the roundness, this allowed me to get a better grip with the vise grips or you could use a wrench.

Weld the nut on, the heat loosens it up and you can just throw a socket on it.

Back